Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help! Can't get new SE Clutch to fully disengage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Help! Can't get new SE Clutch to fully disengage

Edit Update: I resolved this issue...see last update at end.

I decided to give my 2012 TriGlide a Screaming Eagle Clutch upgrade. The TriGlide clutch stuff should be the same as a 2012 Ultra...I hope. And the online parts site lists the SE Clutch as compatible with my bike. So, replaced the OEM clutch with the Screaming Eagle clutch, and heavy dry clutch Diaphram Spring. I am sure I got all the levels parts out, and per the instructions did not re-install the damper spring and damper spring seat.

I followed the standard adjustment procedure numerous times, and even tried the "easy" adjustment procedure sticky on this site. Watching the clutch with the derby cover off, it seems to move out a fair amount when I pull the clutch level.

But, no matter what I do...I can't get the clutch to disengage enough. I start he engine in neutral with the clutch in...and as soon as I shift to 1st gear it gives a giant clunk, the bike lurches forward...and stalls.

Now I figured the SE clutch would be more grabby...but this is excessive.

Help!!! Any suggestions???

Edit update: I stepped away from the bike, and watched some installation videos hoping there was a magic incantation that I missed. The one thing I noticed was that with the SE clutch pack compared to mine ..there was barely enough room for the last metal plate on mine....hmmm...guess I'm going to open up the primary again...

But, still open to suggestions.

Final Uodate: so, after I opened up the primary again, and removed the Screaming Eagle clutch pack...I found the damper spring and seat...that I still swear I removed. Anyhow...back together without the extra parts...a good adjustment...and man does the clutch work great now. One of the best upgrades I have made. Just finished a 20 mile test rest, and now it's Martini time!!!

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-21-2016 at 05:50 PM.