Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help! Stripped Bolt in Gear Box cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Jrwelz1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Stripped Bolt in Gear Box cover

Hey everyone

I was changing my exhaust pipes on my 14 street bob and when installing the bracket to the gear box one of the bolts to hold it will not tighten, it just keeps spinning.

Can anyone help as to how to fix this I don't want to just leave a bolt out that holds my exhaust. Do I need a new gear box cover? Or is there a simpler fix.

Thanks

Old 05-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Do not think the cover is what is stripped. Think it's the transmission housing. Some thoughts. 1. Maybe a stud screwed to the bottom and use a nylon type lock nut. 2. Tap the hole the next larger size 3. Use a thread insert screwed into the hole which will repair it and keep it to the existing size. If you are not familiar with what I just said, pay an expert to fix it. I would not learn on it except the stud hoping you have 4 or 5 threads at the bottom. You can actually drill the hole deeper and tap to original size and use a stud which would be cheapest fit if you have a tap drill and tap. (what I would do but I spent 46 years in a machine shop and have all the tools) That transmission housing is a big $ item and putting your parts into it is high dollar.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-15-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Jrwelz1
6th Gear

Thanks I was thinking to try screwing a longer stud and hope there are threads deeper that will catch it. If not I am going to have to find someone to help me out. The exhaust is currently off so riding to a shop is out of the question.

Thanks again

Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Jrwelz1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Do not think the cover is what is stripped. Think it's the transmission housing. Some thoughts. 1. Maybe a stud screwed to the bottom and use a nylon type lock nut. 2. Tap the hole the next larger size 3. Use a thread insert screwed into the hole which will repair it and keep it to the existing size. If you are not familiar with what I just said, pay an expert to fix it. I would not learn on it except the stud hoping you have 4 or 5 threads at the bottom. You can actually drill the hole deeper and tap to original size and use a stud which would be cheapest fit if you have a tap drill and tap. (what I would do but I spent 46 years in a machine shop and have all the tools) That transmission housing is a big $ item and putting your parts into it is high dollar.
Thanks I was thinking to try screwing a longer stud and hope there are threads deeper that will catch it. If not I am going to have to find someone to help me out. The exhaust is currently off so riding to a shop is out of the question.

Thanks again

Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

PS..Welcome from Hampton Roads Virginia...Remember..a all thread stud without a head. Then you can use two nuts jammed together to bottom it. Then hack saw off excess sticking out. Smooth off top with file and leave 2-3 threads past end of locknut.