Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker Compensator install on 12 twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
compensator roller coaster ride.
I mean there are still many with the stock one running with no issues.
there are many with 1st gen SE comp
many with the Baker comp no issues.

Then there are opposite extremes. why? riding style, bad luck. what causes this wide range of result with this component.
You want my guess, crank run out. Some come out of the factory with .002 run out the next .014.No comp will hold up in that environment.

The following users liked this post:
1Canuck (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Let me know what happened, how was the chain alignment? Chain tension?
Chain tension and alignment were spot on during install and upon opening up the primary case yesterday. It seems the Motor Extension Shaft and the Cam Slider were locked together not allowing the parts to slide as designed. I put in an Warranty Replacement claim with Don last night. One thing I noticed was that the model I had was a rev "C" and the latest revision is rev "K"; not sure if that has anything to do with my problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Banned

We'll have a look at it when it comes in.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 AM
bryanklay
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark
if you could take a look at mine which came in yesterday because it looks exactly like the pictures above. and if you could let me know what went wrong that would be great not from a bad standpoint but because i do a lot of riding in a short time frame and am interested.
thank you
bryan k lay

Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bryanklay
Mark
if you could take a look at mine which came in yesterday because it looks exactly like the pictures above. and if you could let me know what went wrong that would be great not from a bad standpoint but because i do a lot of riding in a short time frame and am interested.
thank you
bryan k lay
We'll let you know what we find.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

I hope this is just a small screw up. Keep us posted Mark

Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Teardrop
Thanks for all the information on the Baker Compensator. My SE comp (3rd replacement) is about due to be replaced and I've been wondering weather to replace it with the Baker comp or the newest of the new and improved SE comp.
I have been getting tired of changing the SEs even for customers. Felt stupid doing it twice and nothing I had done wrong. I really hope these are the answer.....not a hard sell if they work out.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well about a month since install. 3600 miles. Pulled primary cover. The Baker adjuster straight as and arrow. The primary chain/ gear noise is down by 50% and livable if it means no more f cking around with comps . No banging comp on hot start or shut downs.I will say always used type F ATF in all my primary's unless customer wanted different. But changed too the spectro heavy duty primary chaincase oil for this install just in case I had a warranty or other problem . Just as good if not better for finding neutral and clutch lock up.
Thanks Baker. I am happy.
Again no gain for me posting this......but his **** works for me.

The following users liked this post:
soft 02 (07-28-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
Chain tension and alignment were spot on during install and upon opening up the primary case yesterday. It seems the Motor Extension Shaft and the Cam Slider were locked together not allowing the parts to slide as designed. I put in an Warranty Replacement claim with Don last night. One thing I noticed was that the model I had was a rev "C" and the latest revision is rev "K"; not sure if that has anything to do with my problem.

Curious what the Paul Harvey is on this?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NascarGuy
Not trying to be a nay sayer but I installed mine around April 1st and it grenaded this past week with just over 5000 miles on it. Gotta pull it apart and triage the damage. Sounded like the thug was going to rattle itself through the side of the primary.
I just got back from a 3200 mile trip to Albuquerque.5000 miles total on Baker Comp and Attitude Adjuster. I opened it up after 1200 miles and looked everything over and changed fluid again. Now for the last 1000 miles sounds like a rock tumbler. Something went south I think. Worse when cold.... Pulling apart before riding any more. At least we didn't break down on the road...

Quick Reply: Baker Compensator install on 12 twin cam