Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

'94 Dyna Low Rider puking trans fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 PM
ndallmer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '94 Dyna Low Rider puking trans fluid...

Seems my scooter is feeling a little ill.

When running with my bike on its kickstand, trans fluid drips (about every 5 sec.) from around the Primary Cover drain plug. It originates from behind the Primary Case, near the Main Drive Sprocket.

Yesterday I had drained al my fluids and refilled, my trans included. I had used well over 24oz. of fluid recommended. I had the bike on its side stand, with the trans dipstick sitting on its threads when checking level. The level read "ADD" after emptying an entire bottle of Redline Transmission fluid. (Even with the stick tightened into the trans??)

The bike had always leaked a little, but this is concerning. I think I overfilled the trans. Tell me if my observations support this.

When running the bike on its side stand, it pukes oil.
When the bike is turned off, it slows/stops.
After returning after a few hours, only a few drops of fluid are under the bike.
When running the bike upright, no (maybe some residual) fluid is seen under the bike.

After reading the Shop Manual, it says to check level with the bike upright, unthreaded, laying on threads...OK.

I'm hoping I didn't blow out a seal, but not seeing trans fluid dropping out when upright is somewhat comforting.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails '94 Dyna Low Rider puking trans fluid...-image.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

You need to get the transmission lube to the correct level before you do anything else.

The following users liked this post:
ndallmer (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 07:37 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You need to get the transmission lube to the correct level before you do anything else.
24oz

ndallmer (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

In addition to the above suggestions, clean the bike thoroughly, so you have a chance of detecting where the oil is coming from. It's pretty sneaky stuff and spreads a long way when hot. The fact that it drips off the primary is no indication of where it came from.

ndallmer (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

I'm confused...are you talking primary fluid, transmission fluid, or both? Fill the trans with bike on level surface and bike standing straight up. Dip stick not threaded.
Fill the primary to the bottom of the clutch diaphragm spring with bike standing straight up.
There is really no pressure in either the trans or the primary...
On that note, the primary is vented to the transmission. YD

ndallmer (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 PM
ndallmer
6th Gear

GRBROWN,
Yeah, I cleaned up the belly of my bike.before I did, I hooked up my video-scope and I could see it was coming from the belt drive sprocket area. (I'll try to attach pic I took of the screen)

My best guess is I simply overfilled my trans. I drained several oz. out of the trans till it read "F" on the stick while the bike was upright, stick resting on its threads.

Thanks!
Neal
u
U

Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 AM
ndallmer
6th Gear

Yankee Dog,
Thanks for the suggestions! I drained the trans until the stick read "F", per your instructions. I ran the bike on its side stand and no more trans fluid leaking. I use Tedline Transmission fluid in the trans, it's red in color, and it's sorta whitish/opaque in appearance. This makes it easy to distinguish it from the Redline Primary fluid I run in the Primary Case, which is red and transparent in appearance. I run Mobile 1 Synthetic in my crank. Having three separate fluids with each having its own appearance makes identifying leaks a BREEZE.

(Oh! I did mean to say it was TRANSMISSION FLUID that was leaking BTW. See attached pic.)

Thanks again for your suggestions, which I'll be following from now on.

Ride Safe my friend,
Neal

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

My thought was over fill also...I did the same thing when filling my transmission while the bike was on a motorcycle jack. Yes it was straight up (left and right), but it was not sitting on it's wheels so basically it was not level fore and aft and not in it's natural position that it would be on the wheels.

Mine did the same thing when I took it off the lift and started it up (on it's side stand)...starting puking transmission fluid out of the vent tube.

Glad you got it worked out, however, I have to ask how do you like the synthetic oil? My bike hated synthetic and loves conventional Valvoline racing 20w-50. Runs with less noise and took care of my head gasket weeping oil. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.