Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

BDL Primary Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:20 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default BDL Primary Issue

Hi all. I posted this in the evo section but was told maybe posting it here could help. I have a 96 Fatboy with Enclosed BDL Primary belt drive. It was installed by the PO and I know nothing about how it was installed. I recently started getting a vibration at the same RPM in each gear on acceleration and deceleration, not sure what RPM I don't have a tach. It starts the same rpm then tapers off and bike runs smooth otherwise. I decided to replace my belt to see if that made any difference and when I had the belt off notices I had a little wobble side to side in my clutch basket. It took me a while but I was able to speak to a tech at BDL and he was very helpful. Told him my problem and that I have some play in the rear hub. He said there should be no play and to pull it and see if there was red locktight on the spline and hub, if not that's a problem. Well there wasn't and adding to it the splines stick out past the hub, not good (see pics). Front is the same but there's a spacer/shim and washer that takes care of that (see pics). I made up a couple steel spacers/shims to go on over the clutch hub but don't want to put it back together till I speak with BDL again. Ihave the right belt for my setup which is 72 tooth rear 42 tooth front so a 141 tooth 1 5/8 8 mm belt. I'm trying to get son video of everything uploaded to also show a intermittent noise coming from the rear hub and a few other trouble shooting things while I have it apart. Oh btw the splines on trans drive shaft and the inner hub looks ok but not completely sure yet as I have nothing to compare it to. Also alignment seems right on with the front and rear and I have no abnormal belt wear. I do know from talking to the tech and looking online I have an older setup as the basket has the square dogs not round and my plate only has room for the standard six springs. Clutch plates look ok also. I've tried contacting tech from BDL a number of times over the last few days and even left a message for the tech I spoke with that said to call him back, but with no luck so far.

Last edited by byronk; 06-29-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Ok so I was able to get ahold of BDL today and the tech said it should have some spline sticking out and the shoulders washer with go against it and line everything up. Use a lot of red locktight let it set and should be good to go. Ok so I got home, cleaned everything up and ready to put back together...........and no way! I obviously wasnt explaining it right to the tech at BDL because theres no way this thing should have that much spline sticking out! If I tighten everything up the thing moves in and out like crazy and didnt move in and out at all before I took it apart only side to side a bit, go figure! Its like im missing something but cant figure out what? Im super frustrated at this point and ready to just shine this thing on for a while.........

Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Brian Kelley
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can offer this. I have a 2005 FLSTN Softail Deluxe. Different motor, yes, but the basic mechanicals/fundamentals in the primary should be very similar. My primary is stock Harley. I rebuilt my transmission and clutch last year, which meant I took apart the primary completely several times.
It sounds like it's a good time for you to get a genuine harley service manual for your bike from the dealer, if you don't have one. Also get a complete installation manual for the BDL primary.
You need to take your time and a breather here and go through the books while you're working to figure out how the whole thing fits together.
Don't rush this, or you're likely to repeat cycles of frustration.

Wobble of any kind to me, sounds like a failing or bad bearing on a shaft.
You have 2 major shafts: crankshaft under the V and transmission input/output (where the clutch basket fits on). There should be no wobble up, down, in, out, side, side at all on either shaft, or it's a problem.

But take your time learning all the parts and pieces. This is a big job, but it's probably a bearing, and you probably won't need to go into the transmission which is good. It's entirely fixable. You need some special tools (pullers, press, hd special tools, etc,). But especially, doing it the first time, you need patience and time.

Hop that helps.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:36 AM
byronk
Road Captain

Yeah thanks for the reply Brian I appreciate it. I do have a factory manual. Turns out it looks like I have a worn out hub the splines are pretty much toast. Surprised I missed it before but frustration was really starting to take over. I've had to do a lot to this bike the last year and a half and I'm running out a patience. Anyway thanks for the reply and here's some pics of the hub and worn splines kinda hard to get a good shot.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Brian Kelley
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, I know that pain.
The whole reason I rebuilt the transmission last year was not because it needed it, but as an artifact of the real problem: a belt pulley(trans pulley) with WORN OUT SPLINES!
I had great luck with the bike from new (I'm original owner), and at 37.5K mikes a year ago, I was left stranded in coastal ME with loss of drive. Couldn't go anywhere and had to rent a truck to bring it back 200 miles to Mass.
The local indy guru saw the pulley and said in 40 years he hadn't seen anything like it. Said it must have been a bad batch of parts- bad heat treating probably.
These things can really suck A-hole.

The following users liked this post:
byronk (07-01-2016)