Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Gear shifter sticking and rough shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Stern
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifter sticking and rough shift

This isn't a Harley, but you guys have been great since I signed up, so I thought you would have some insight. My sister bought a Honda rebel to learn on and the gear shifter is very sticky. It's a 2007 and only has 700 miles on it. When she bought it, it didn't feel as smooth as other bikes, but I chalked it up to just the design of the bike and it having a very weird and uncomfortable foot position. I adjusted the gear shifter a couple notches and it felt better. Now I can't get it to shift even slightly smooth and it's impossible to downshift. I have to shut the bike off, and once I do that, it allows me to find neutral. When I start the bike and shift into first, it sounds like the clutch is engaged with the clutch lever pulled in. I revved it in neutral and then in first gear(holding the clutch) and it does sound like the clutch is being engaged slightly. I then slowly coasted down the street(right before the point of losing balance) and revved it with clutch pulled in and in first, and I felt a very faint surge. Finally, with the bike off and in neutral I rolled back and forward with no resistance. I put in first, which I could only get into if I pushed the bike forward a little, then rolled back and forth; I felt some resistance and could here the transmission turning.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Get the OEM service manual for the bike; I would need an isometric parts diagram of the transmission to diagnose as the Honda trans configuration is different from HD. There is probably an adjustment inside the primary that will center the shift pawl which could need adjusting; shift fork could be bent; clutch may just need adjusting. The OEM service manual should help in sorting out the problem.....

Old 07-09-2016, 12:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,256 Likes on 11,140 Posts

Given that you can shift it easier with motor not running, I'm thinking the clutch plates are sticking together. This may be due to:
- if it has been sitting a while, the oil is gumming up the clutch. Let it warm up good, and change the oil and filter.. I believe that bike has a single engine and clutch oil. Depending upon howling the bike sat, you might want to run it a bit, then change it & filter again.
- adjust the clutch...per the service Manual.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 07-09-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Stern
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I thought. The guy said he changed the oil with synthetic, but who knows if that is true. I have the service manual and I was gonna do that next, just don't have time. I'm gonna run the bike, like you suggested, drain, and fill with whatever the manual recommends(no synthetic) and adjust the clutch. It's a good chance, that it is from sitting, since it is 9 years old and only has 700 miles.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

I agree. Change oil and adjust the clutch. Also from past experience, metrics are very fussy about correct oil level. Yd

Old 07-09-2016, 06:09 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,256 Likes on 11,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Stern
This is what I thought. The guy said he changed the oil with synthetic, but who knows if that is true. I have the service manual and I was gonna do that next, just don't have time. I'm gonna run the bike, like you suggested, drain, and fill with whatever the manual recommends(no synthetic) and adjust the clutch. It's a good chance, that it is from sitting, since it is 9 years old and only has 700 miles.
Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I have an old CM250 with the same engine. I think your clutch plates are probably fused together from sitting. Mine shifts okay, for an old bike. If you rip around on it for a day it might loosen up.