Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch basket sprocket wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM
JCurtis
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch basket sprocket wear

Ok to start with the bike is an 07 dyna superglide custom with 15000miles on it, I bought the bike used with a little under 10000miles on it.
It has some vance and hines straight shot slip ons and a Doherty intake. It's sort of been a cascade of events to lead to my problems, anyways I put a fuel pack in it and ran it for a season like that, this year I put in the quiet baffles to tame the noise a bit.

I noticed what I thought was an engine ping, after pulling the plugs they were pretty white and ashy looking, called vance and hines to get a refined map, refreshed it and took it for a rip. Everything seemed great but now the noise is back. I've looked everywhere for something that's rubbing but can't see anything.

It's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, it's most noticeable at cruising type speed in 2 to 4th gear and is also there sometimes with no throttle and in gear with clutch out going down a hill.

So I pulled the primary to see what's happening in there and the clutch basket sprocket teeth are starting to look pretty sharp, no sign of bending yet, the compensator sprocket looks perfect.
I'm not sure how tight the primary chain should be but if I grab it in the middle with my thumb and pull up I can get it within 1/4" of the top of the primary.
There are a few spots on the compensator side the primary cover where it looks like the chain has touched it and also one spot on the inner primary where it has touched right before the chain adjuster.
The auto chain adjuster didn't seem to be stuck but I pulled it off to clean it up anyways.

So I'm not to sure what I'm asking seeing as I'm new to all this but does any of this sound normal or should I be looking at something specific.

Horrible timing as I just got layed off and don't want to be spending big money on it right now

Any help would be great, and I hope I posted this in the right place

Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Pick up a service manual. Pretty sure primary chain is supposed to be 5/8 slack. Pics would help as well.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by JCurtis
So I pulled the primary to see what's happening in there and the clutch basket sprocket teeth are starting to look pretty sharp, no sign of bending yet, the compensator sprocket looks perfect.

I'm not sure how tight the primary chain should be but if I grab it in the middle with my thumb and pull up I can get it within 1/4" of the top of the primary.

There are a few spots on the compensator side the primary cover where it looks like the chain has touched it and also one spot on the inner primary where it has touched right before the chain adjuster.

The auto chain adjuster didn't seem to be stuck but I pulled it off to clean it up anyways.
As soft 02 suggests, get yourself a factory service manual asap. You shouldn't be going into the primary without one! Chain tension is something that can only be checked in several places, not only one, as it will not be identical all around the chain. There shouldn't be any significant signs of wear to either sprocket IMHO, the comp being the most likely to wear first.

When you have your book set the chain tension correctly, refill with suitable oil and ride. Let us know if you discover anything - preferably that all is well!