Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

hot start clunk then slow start

Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 PM
sr230mike
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
Default hot start clunk then slow start

2008 ultra 10000 miles. Battery is 6 months or so old . Any plain English thoughts? I read about compensator what is it ? Thanks Mike

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Compensator for sure. Mine had all of those symptoms. Since changing it a couple of months back, the bike fires right up. It's an inherent problem mostly on the 08's thru 11 model year.Harley was using a compensator from previous 88" motors. I have an 08 CVO Roadking with a 110" motor. Way under engineered for the bike and a very week point. The compensator is what transfers the torque of the motor and it's various pulses upon start up and while driving. If the springs are weak and the ramps within start to wear it will be hard to start and sometimes sound like the motor and starter are going to self destruct. Most think it's the starter but from much experience I can tell you it's not. Another way to confirm this is that when your riding at a slow speed the bike feels choppy and not smooth until you speed up. That's the compensator not doing what it's supposed to do. (absorbing the engine pulses) I would definitely look into having it replaced. They were built to fail. Best of luck.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

^^^Yep^^^

Comp took a dump...put the upgraded version in there.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Do this homework first..before you waste money. Comps may be weak or the faces get rough and make a racket but they will always lock up and drive the motor from the starter or drive the bike. If it was so weak that the starter affected it, it would bang ever gear shift or if you let off the gas abruptly.

Rev. 08-08-16
Some electrical 101 and a little more..

Remember, the best made brand new battery that has been on a maintenance charger for 3 days that has a loose or bad connection is no better then a boat anchor with a loose rope. The connection can get loose after one ride if the battery is not anchored and the wires are short and get tugged in a direction that can unscrew the bolts.

After a good 24+ hour maintenance low amperage charge, with the charge light in the solid green and the battery has set about 24 hours off charge, voltage should be about 12.8 volts.
12.8 = full charged
12.6 = 75% charged
12.3 = 50% charged (Lot of new modern cars with system protection will not even click at this point but will have good headlight beams showing)
12.0 =25% charged

Always check both the terminals at the battery lead and also at the terminal on the wire. That helps to verify connection. With a DC volt meter (one that has a feature to lock high and low reading is best) hooked across the battery terminals and reading 12.8 or so, crank motor and while its cranking it should not drop below about 9.6 volts and as soon as it starts and throttled up to 2000 rpm, voltage should read around 14.8 volts. The 2000 rpm is the bench mark standard. Ignore idle output. Ignore output above 2000rpm unless it exceeds 14.9 volts. That is a sure indication that regulator is bad.

The crank check shows a rough check of the reserve amperage capacity of the battery while cranking with a 150-200 amp load on it. The 14.8 shows a good alternator and if you leave it on a while as the regulatory will drop the voltage a little showing itself working. However, with the lights and stuff always on, it will never drop back much. If you have a lot of options, most modern bikes will not show 14.8 charging volts at idle but stock newer bikes will be close. Older bikes with lower amperage output not so much. However, 2000 rpm is the bench mark for the standard 14.8 volts.

If you think battery is good and something is draining it sitting, now would be a good time to check for drain problems. Go to Harbor Freight and get you a AC/DC meter for under $25 or so. http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-d...ter-37772.html Make sure it has DC amps draw, DC voltage, resistance and AC voltage. Key off. Remove the negative cable off the battery. Set meter on DC amps. Hook the meter lead to cable and the other to battery. !!Key off..do not turn on!! Ignore that first draw as the alarm trims back and stuff charges for 1 minute. Now,how many milliamps (mA) is it drawing? It should be no more then 6 mA which is the ECM (1), speedometer (1), tac,TSSM (1),HFSM (1) and voltage regulator (1)

When a battery wears out, a good charge will show fairly good voltage, but the battery can still have very low amperage capacity which will show in the crude crank test above, but it really should be checked after a good charge by removing it from bike and getting a free check at a place like AutoZone that has a fancy load meter check that gives you a print out of the battery health. Battery MUST BE CHARGED to check it. Be sure they set their meter to correct cold cranking amperage stated on the battery. Never charge the AGM absorbed glass mat battery with a regular car battery charger unless it is a newer one that says safe with this type of battery. Also, by taking battery out you now know you have good connections. Vibration tends to loosen the connections or a little corrosion will prevent charging or cause starting problems. Be forwarned, these checks quite often are incorrect due to the low amperage of these small batteries and junk checking equipment. If bike is charging , no load on battery when key is off and you are still having problems…REPLACE THE BATTERY. If battery is more then 3-4 years old.. REPLACE THE BATTERY.

Using the maintenance charger can get more years from a battery but be careful here. You do not want the last start 5 miles from home. If it still grunts when you first hit starter or kicks back with a bang, replace it. After a few years, charge and pull battery and have it checked for cold cranking amperage ever spring. Even then, if it grunts most ever start, I would replace it. Most battery checkers at AutoZone and places like that do not do really well on the low amperage setting on small batteries. Not sure why but they tend to say they are OK when they are weak. If they have one that fits your bike, Wal-Mart's AGM absorbed glass mat battery is just as good as any for one third to half the money of a Harley Battery. Do not put an old fashion one with vent tubes on a modern TC Harley. Do not jump, push start or run bike with a half dead battery except in a real emergency. If a bike battery is down and you jump it, throwing all that amps to it from a big car battery especially one that is running can wreck a bike regulator or charging system. Charging a worn out battery can kill alternator stator or the voltage regulator or both. Probably ending in a big dollar repair in parts alone.

It is also a good idea to always check your battery at 2000 RPM with your meter set to AC. If by chance, the regulator goes bad, sometimes it will let AC come thru. That is a sure sign of a bad regulator. Older 2 wire stators have a single phase output while the newer stators with 3 wires have a 3 phase output. The 3 phase system provides a more consistent and higher current output to the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator takes the AC from the alternator, rectifies it to DC and limits the voltage level to the battery depending on the voltage reading it gets back from the battery.

Also remember, when starting a Harley, hit the starter and hold it in till it is firing on both cylinders and running before letting up. If you let up before it’s running, quiet often, it actually take an FI motor longer to start. There is a fraction of a second more for a long stroke Harley then a multi-cylinder car for it to get going. If you do not do this, it will kick back with a bang, sneeze thru the intake or crank a lot longer the second time or shame on you the third time. Also, if you have a habit of doing this, the starter solenoid switch contact will only have half the life it could. You cannot hurt the starter. The starter gear has a sprag clutch. There are drive pins in it that as the gas motor catches and run, it outruns the starter motor drive and disengages it from the electric motor. If you hold it in a little too long and listen carefully, you will hear the sprag clutch run up the ramps and slip. Makes a sizzle hum. This will show you your starter sprag clutch is OK.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM
sr230mike
Road Captain

Okay I checked the batt. fresh off the tender 14. something and after riding then sitting over night 12.8 after sitting. It did go to 7. ? on a hot start. then right back to 12.8 +- after. why only when hot?? yesterday I took it off the tender if fired in about well really fast 1/2 a turn rode about 5 miles parked for about an hour then the first 2 button pushes no clunk just a wirr like the solenoid was not kicking then clunkging and slow crank and finally started . the batt is 12.8 what should I do next ?? Where are the ground or I guess negative connections? I don't hear any unusual noise while runung or shifting. 11000 miles about really frustrating. No engine mods. stage 1 air filter and screeming eagle slipons Mike

Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,516 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Take the battery out. Charge it 24 hours and carry it to to 2 different auto stores and have them check it for amps hr test. Hopefully, you will get one with a good tester. Be sure they set the test to the battery amp correctly.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 PM
sr230mike
Road Captain

Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 AM
sr230mike
Road Captain

Today I took the Batt. fully charged to batteries and lamps where I got it ( a Duracell something not lead acid) watched them test it to 400 amps checked out okay. then to NAPA same thing but not as cool a tester battery good, went home re installed it cold slow crank but started. then off and just the wirring like the solenoid was not kicking out. did that a few times then clunk clunk clunk slow crank and started twice then I quit and here I am. what now? thanks Mike

Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

What is the history of the engine?

Did you buy it new or used? Is it stock or has work been done to it?

Old 09-14-2016, 10:47 AM
sr230mike
Road Captain

I got it from a guy I know for 30 years his Dr. took him off it.He bought it new. I got it with 1700 miles and now about 11000 miles engine is stock screaming eagle slip on mufflers and air filter . 2008 96" I am 62 190 lbs and ride like it no hot rodding . thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hot start clunk then slow start