Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch pulls hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 PM
CH53A/D CREW CHIEF
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch pulls hard

I installed taller bars on my 02 Ultra 14.5 in.. Also installed longer clutch cable and all other cables etc.. The problem I'm having is the clutch lever pulls about twice as hard as it did before. I pre-lubed the cable before installation . I've also rerouted the cable. I've checked all connections top and bottom, all good read and watched numerous articles and videos all pretty much the same adjustment procedures.. The clutch works fine , just pulls very hard. Any body have any anwers for me ? Am I missing anything, or is this normal for longer clutch cable and taller bars?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:27 PM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 315 Posts

had same problem. i put some liquid wrench in on and around the anti vibrating screw. like butter now. hope this helps.

stoney

The following users liked this post:
CH53A/D CREW CHIEF (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some lubes don't work on certain cables breaks down the liner or galls up ,I tried some dry-slide in mine and it was a biotch to pull. I finally put some 3n1 oil in it this summer and a dab of grease at the point stoneybagger pointed out smmooooth as buuuutter now

The following users liked this post:
CH53A/D CREW CHIEF (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 PM
CH53A/D CREW CHIEF
4th Gear

the bars and cables where just put on this past spring. the cable itself slides nice and easy, the clutch lever pulls nice and easy until I adjust every thing , thats when it pulls hard and as I said in my original post , I'm pretty sure Ive done everything the correct way' It pulled alot easier with the 10in bars on and shorter cable. just as easy as the stock bars and cable did. I dont want to go through the bar swap again alot of work on a Ultra. I really like the 14's

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 PM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 315 Posts

like i said, i was having the same problem. someone had said to lube the cable.
i was like yah, ok. well decided not do it to lube cable. seemed to be a big pain and was kinda used to the very very hard to pull clutch lever.
well one day i said **** it, might as well try lubing the cable. long story short, i could not get lube in the cable. i did get lube all over where i had pointed out in pic above. well, got everything back together and i be damned it was smooth as butter. try it, nothing to lose.

if this is not the case, try looking at the Clutch Release Cover. this may have not been put back correctly.

your cable may be catching on something you just have not seen yet.
the cable adjustment may be off. clutch basket may be jamming or gummed up.

stoney

Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Keith455
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the cable is not binding anywhere,check the routing

Old 09-04-2016, 01:24 PM
CH53A/D CREW CHIEF
4th Gear

Well after rechecking everything , I rigged up a small tube to a 10 cc syringe and injected about 60cc's of cable lube into the point you show on the pic made a nice mess but bygolly gee wizz it ****** worked let it sit over night and it feels alot easier. Not as easy as stock but I can live with it. Thanks for the tip man and ride safe

Old 10-31-2021, 07:31 PM
JimmyJuice
Stage II
Default Clutch cable issue.

So I’m a long time reader, first time caller here. Had put on a new clutch cable on my street glide 103. Worked perfect. Swapped out my stock levers for Poison Scorpion levers. Front brake went on fine, works fine. Clutch lever went on fine, ZERO PULL. Re-Adjusted slack, hard as 🔥
to pull and the pull feels like the cable isn’t sliding through the cable housing and more like it’s snagged up and the pull i do get is just me stretching the tiny bit of slack in the cable itself.super wierd being how all I did was loosen the cable, swapp lever and re tighten cable. Check trans side cover, still connected and functioning. Anyone ever have an issue like this..?

Just to show levers