Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker OD6 Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:35 PM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baker OD6 Help Please!

I had a noisy tranny in most gears, took it to a shop, they found all the bearings bad, main, trap door etc, replaced everything w/ timken, dyno tuned the bike, put in a new stator, it made it about 200 miles before I started seeing fluid between the inner primary and the trans, then once home drained the fluid and it's black with a lot of metal filings and little rods in it, enough to fill a spoon.

So, bikes around 120 tp/tq, 2001 FXDXT, after paying out so much money twice this summer for repairs and this being the second time back in with failure in the tranny and also needing to install a new clutch and do brakes, is there anyone in the Virginia Beach area with experience in Baker that I can hire or that can help me do whatever I need to with the tranny? It's loud now all except 5th gear so figure the need to clean it and replace all the bearings and seals, the full rebuild kit might be in order but think that the gears themselves might need tuned from reading Bakers site, I have called them several times but have never received any calls back. Don't know what to do and afraid to waste another 1-2k+ taking it to someone just to have another failure and they not know how to get this tranny tuned up right and I don't have the experience or tools to do it myself in the garage though would love to learn.

Last edited by VB-SBOB-10; 08-27-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Brian Kelley
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say "little rods", do you mean little solid silver/aluminum looking cylinders? It sounds like a needle bearing failed on the inner primary where it contacts the main shaft. Sorry, but it sounds like a bad service shop with jokers. That shouldn't have happened. Probably not more than that, hopefully, but you need a 2nd opinion from a reputable place. Can be tough to find reputable. Hopefully when you take it to the new place, they say that your current people (aka jokers) did at least half the work they said they did. Bottom line, though, these ain't Porsche 911s, and they can be rebuilt many times over. Not rocket 🚀 engineering and many parts are pretty tough. Don't sweat it

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Baker's a sponsor in here and they are damn good people please contact them directly you may be surprised.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:38 AM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice

Thank you so much Brian, appreciate the reply.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:40 AM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice

I have been trying for a week, left messages three times but have not gotten any calls, I'm going to keep trying, thanks for your reply.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 AM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice

Oh Brian, forgot to answer you because that sound exactly like it, thanks for the gouge.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Not sure why you haven't got a return call we man the phones from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm Monday through Friday. You can send the transmission into us and we can go through it for you. Give us a call, you can ask for me. 517-339-3835

The following users liked this post:
VB-SBOB-10 (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice

Thanks Mark, you rock! The shop should be calling and pulling it all out to send off here in the next week or two depending on when I get back from my next work trip (military).

Old 09-07-2016, 05:17 PM
VB-SBOB-10
Novice

Last time we found the bearings and seals blown we switched everything over to high torque, running about 118-120 torque, this time it only lasted about 200miles before the main seal was gone and by the time I got back home all the bearings, are shot and I found a piece of a tooth in there, not sure what could cause so much damage in such a short period of time, that was after quite a few dyno runs and I have read that the DD7 maxes out around 130tq, what is the tq rating on the od6? The shop said I should be good up to 150?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by VB-SBOB-10
Last time we found the bearings and seals blown we switched everything over to high torque, running about 118-120 torque, this time it only lasted about 200miles before the main seal was gone and by the time I got back home all the bearings, are shot and I found a piece of a tooth in there, not sure what could cause so much damage in such a short period of time, that was after quite a few dyno runs and I have read that the DD7 maxes out around 130tq, what is the tq rating on the od6? The shop said I should be good up to 150?
The OD6 is rated to 165 foot pounds of torque.

Quick Reply: Baker OD6 Help Please!