Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Can't find neutral since fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Sportsterbrett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find neutral since fluid change

I just bought an 03 wide glide from a pawn shop... I was able to find neutral while running and at a stop, but after changing my fluids I can't find it anymore while it's stopped and running. I'm running belray vtwin in the Trans and primary and it is filled to spec. Thank you in advance for your expertise and help...

Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm not sure that engine oil is a very suitable oil for the primary, however that shouldn't prevent you from finding neutral while the engine is not running. Gently rock the bike back and forth while working your way down to first gear, then up one click for neutral. You don't need to operate the clutch to achieve that.

You may need to adjust the clutch, for which there is a Sticky at the top of this section. Do it the correct way and don't cut corners! If all fails drain the primary and install primary oil.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Sportsterbrett
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm not sure that engine oil is a very suitable oil for the primary, however that shouldn't prevent you from finding neutral while the engine is not running. Gently rock the bike back and forth while working your way down to first gear, then up one click for neutral. You don't need to operate the clutch to achieve that.

You may need to adjust the clutch, for which there is a Sticky at the top of this section. Do it the correct way and don't cut corners! If all fails drain the primary and install primary oil.
It's not engine oil that's in the primary, it's the belray primary fluid, I can get neutral easily while the bike is off, just not while it's running, I've tried rocking back and forth

Old 10-07-2016, 07:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Fair enough. I suggest the next move is to adjust your clutch by the book. You probably have enough drag at the plates to cause your problem.