Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2005 RK clutch question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts
Default 2005 RK clutch question.

My 95" RK runs about 95hp 95 tq.
the stock clutch with a SE spring barely holds the power (I think it does slip just a tiny bit).
Can I remover the damper spring and the cut down rear friction plate and replace them with another steel disk and 2 frictions? Is there room?
I seem to recall somebody doing this before, maybe I'm wrong?
I don't really want to increase lever pressure (my hands are bad)
and don't want to spend $$ on a whole new clutch- I have plenty of other things the bike needs right now, an extra pair of plates would be a good inexpensive fix for a clutch that is almost good enough as is.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

What you may be thinking of is what is often called a +1 plate kit. Barnett and no doubt others make them, in other words a complete set of friction and steel plates. The stock clutch has a 'Spring Plate' in the centre of the clutch pack, which the +1 kit dispenses with. Will one of these kits solve your problem? I suspect not, although you may well enjoy a smoother more pleasing clutch action. Barnett also make stronger clutch springs, so one of theirs may solve the slipping problem.

An alternative to consider is an AIM kit. This is a bob-weight device, which as engine speed increases, increases clutch pressure. It can be used with a softer spring, giving an easier lever pull, while applying muck more pressure while riding at speed.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Get a VPC

Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

As built, the stock clutch with a 380 lb spring should hold a 95/95 motor no sweat providing the clutch is adjusted right.. I would adjust the clutch first and go from there.

You can't modify the clutch to add a plate by your suggested method. The +1 kits thin either friction / steels or all of the full plates to get +1 plate in the clutch.. Best to buy the kit. One thing to note is that some plus one kits can drag..Neutral can be harder to find at a stop with the motor running.

If the clutch has slipped much, the frictions are likely toast.. I would simply go to a stock plate count Kevlar friction plate kit from Barnett and check the steels / spring condition.. The SE spring is a 380 lb spring and should be more than enough.. I use stock early TC spring (320 lb) with kevlar plates and no issues for about 40,000 miles on 02 RK that has made as much as 110 tq and 110 hp (not at the same time).. For the previous 20K, the stock clutch held up..

If going VPC, the clutch can slip at lower Rs if the clutch itself is already weak.. Most VPCs cut spring pressure so pressure on the plate is less when the motor is not spinning fast. Best rebuild the clutch (likely needs frictions) before adding the device.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Reaper's motor dyno's at around 96 hp / 112 ft-lbs, and the stock clutch with the SE spring never had a problem with slippage. A couple of summers ago, I installed a Barnett extra plate clutch pack, and it, with the SE spring has no trouble holding the power output either.

Check you clutch adjustment, and for excessive wear of the steel/friction plates.

Cheers!