Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Upgrade clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:13 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Upgrade clutch question

I have a 1991 FLSTC. I understand Harley changed the clutch design in 1998. Is it a simple swap to upgrade the '91 clutch, basket, ring gear, etc., to the '98 variant? Or is it not so easy?

Thanks for any insight.

Alan

Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Why do want to make an upgrade? Shouldn't be necessary in my view, my stock 1990 clutch is fine with my S&S 107". All I've done is use a stronger spring, although I have replaced the clutch plates recently with Barnett ones.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:16 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

grbrown, I mentioned this in the other thread. I'm looking for options to make clutch pull lighter. Thought a later model clutch might open the door to the AIM/VPC (the one for later models--I prefer its design to the Evo style); and/or for the Harley spring and ramps. The ramps I believe are a bolt in, but the spring needs the later clutch (I think). There's also a Mueller (sp?) modified ball/ramp that says it lessens clutch effort; different geometry on the *****/ramps, not an extender; problem is, Mr. Mueller is quite proud of his invention to the tune of $175 (USD). LOL. Still, from your account in the other thread, it might well be worth the investment simply to have the problem resolved (I don't look forward to readjusting the clutch every time I wash the bike (LOL))...and truth is 175 is much less expensive than many other solutions...(I'm still investigating the AMP device...) Edit: The Muller (correct sp) is $156 on JP Cycles with Gold Club...hmmmm...

I'm in the discovery phase of the problem so I'm frankly flailing around a bit, checking out the options...

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 11-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It was a Mueller that I had for a while in my bike, which I removed and referred to in the above thread. It is one of several brands who say they are EZ, but use a similar approach. I don't recommend one, as mentioned in the other thread. If you still have the original clutch cable, start by replacing that with a top shelf one, like a Dimaondback!

The following users liked this post:
AlanStansbery (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

The tranny main shaft that the clutch runs on the 91 is the same as the 98. My bet is that you can fit the 98 clutch.. The issue will be the sprocket tooth count. Some hubs have 36 tooth hubs and other are 37.. You probably need to figure out what your current clutch tooth count is and buy the same.. Check sprocket alignment.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Ted Jones
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default clutch

i have it on my 85 tour glide had to change mainshaft main drive gear and starter ring gear alot better than was stock

Old 11-03-2016, 07:15 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

bwoltz, great info.

Ted Jones, I thought the 85 was a tapered shaft. Is that the reason for the gear change?

Thanks,
Alan

Old 11-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Ted Jones
Advanced
Default my 85

it was tapered i put a 91 and newer mainshaft a matching drive gear then a clutch hub out of a 2000 dresser with a new starter gear on it cause i got the old style drive on it best clutch i ever had on it and i have had the bike sinse it was brand new i used to be able to destroy that tapered shaft and that early diafram clutch even more with my 96 in s&s motor

Max Headflow (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

Ok. So when you changed from tapered to splined you needed to change the drive gear. BTW, I used to live in Michigan. Jackson. I worked in Albion at the McGraw Edison plant there. Which has nothing to do with anything...

Alan

Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Ted Jones
Advanced
Default trans shaft

yep the maindrive gear i.d. is a different size so it matches the mainshaft. i live up by traverse city.i used to work in california outside frisco at a toxic waste landfill i am aheavy equipment operator retired. back to the trans that splined mainshaft is a hell of a lot better than the tapered keyway one

Max Headflow (11-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Upgrade clutch question