Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Justin72
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help!!!

Hello all, I am having issues with my 98 CMC Softail and what I hope is only worn out clutch plates. I was riding yesterday and suddenly my rpm's went up and the bike started slowing. I could tell it would pull slightly until you tried to roll on the throttle then it would slip and rpm's would rise. I started downshifting as I slowed but that had no change. Transmission seems fine as I can shift through the gears but I'm not a mechanic so not 100% sure on anything yet. I do however know how to adjust the clutch so I am confident that this is not the problem. I do hear what sounds like scraping in the clutch plate area. My bike is not leaking any fluids and has a dry belt driven primary and the clutch is a Rivera/Primo. I was going to remove the 4 bolts in the clutch and check the plates but they (the bolts) felt like they were under pressure and I was afraid you needed a special tool to remove. I was hoping you all could give me some helpful info on this. If needed I can take a photo tomorrow and post it also. Thanks for any help and if you need more info please let me know.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

sounds like a slipping clutch but why don't you try to adjust it again first before tearing it apart

Old 11-11-2016, 08:54 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Could be the splines on your drive pulley are gone. If a clutch is going to slip it will start in the higher gears first and as it wears will slowly works its way down to the lower gears. Losing power all at once tells me drive pulley.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,247 Likes on 3,625 Posts

The CMC uses a Primo Brute 3 primary drive. I believe you can still get parts through Drag Specialties easily. Any indy can help you out. You'll need to pull it apart and inspect. On CMCs with a lot of miles, I seen the front pulley splines strip out and belts brake. If you are getting some drive, its likely stripped splines. Could also be the splines on the clutch hub (as Mark says).. I've not seen this issue on the Primo clutch but have seen it on BDL belt type open primaries.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Justin72
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I will go back and adjust the clutch again to double check that and If that doesn't work I will check the plates, pulley splines, and or clutch hubs. I will post again Monday with what I've found. Thanks again.