Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch readjusted every couple of weeks

Old 08-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Jamn
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch readjusted every couple of weeks. Why?

I've installed a 37H and a Barnett heavy spring this past winter in my 103. I use Amsoil 20W50 Syn in the hole and over the last few months I have had to readjust the clutch pack every couple of weeks. The locknut and set screw are definitely not loosening up and the cable adjustment always goes back to the same position. Any ideas? Are the friction discs wearing thin?

Last edited by Jamn; 08-13-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamn
I've installed a 37H and a Barnett heavy spring this past winter in my 103. I use Amsoil 20W50 Syn in the hole and over the last few months I have had to readjust the clutch pack every couple of weeks. The locknut and set screw are definitely not loosening up and the cable adjustment always goes back to the same position. Any ideas? Are the friction discs wearing thin?
What adjustment is changing. What does "go back to the same position" mean?

Are you following the manual?

Frictions really don't wear unless the clutch is slipping a whole bunch.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Jamn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What adjustment is changing. What does "go back to the same position" mean?

Are you following the manual?

Frictions really don't wear unless the clutch is slipping a whole bunch.
I checked the manual and I'm doing it correctly. "go back to the same position" means the cable adjustment measurement between the 2 cable housings or exposed threads ends up being the same every time. I.E. the cable is not stretching.

What changes is the lever gap. I start out at 1/16 the 1/8 and after a few weeks it increases to 1/4 to 1/2. I end up with the clutch not completely disengaging with the lever fully pulled in. The I have clutch drag.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamn
I checked the manual and I'm doing it correctly. "go back to the same position" means the cable adjustment measurement between the 2 cable housings or exposed threads ends up being the same every time. I.E. the cable is not stretching.

What changes is the lever gap. I start out at 1/16 the 1/8 and after a few weeks it increases to 1/4 to 1/2. I end up with the clutch not completely disengaging with the lever fully pulled in. The I have clutch drag.
Thanks, that helps a lot.

I would check the throwout bearing in the right side of the bike where the cable goes.. Another possibility is that the clutch hub is nut is slowly loosening, something wrong with the hub itself. Main mainshaft bearing on the right side might be going but you'd probably hear that..

If the frictions were wearing, you'd actual have the clutch play become less.

You are correct that that cable is likely good.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Jamn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Thanks, that helps a lot.

I would check the throwout bearing in the right side of the bike where the cable goes.. Another possibility is that the clutch hub is nut is slowly loosening, something wrong with the hub itself. Main mainshaft bearing on the right side might be going but you'd probably hear that..

If the frictions were wearing, you'd actual have the clutch play become less.

You are correct that that cable is likely good.
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the diagram for the clutch and I see the nut you're talking about. I'll take a look at both areas that you mentioned. Thanks