Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch cable snapped while riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM
RoadKingKR
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch cable snapped while riding

Hi...
I'm Kel, This is my first thread on this forum. I ride a 2005 FLHPi Police Edition Road King. While riding the other day my clutch cable felt like it snapped.
Does it make sense to replace the clutch pack at the same time as the cable... ?

Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

was the clutch working how you like it before the cable broke? if it wasn't, replace it. if it was ok only fix what's broke.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:26 PM
RoadKingKR
Stage IV

Good point, I'll replace them at the same time. It was at the end of the adjustment anyway. I saw a forum here on clutch, cables etc. Going to check those out. Thanks Bagga

Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Kel,

Whoa there! Diagnose what the actual cause of the problem is! You may only be able to do that by stripping things first. If the cable was at the limit of it's adjustment there are several possible causes of that - worn clutch plates, worn clutch mechanism, worn push-rod, etc. If you buy a new clutch and then find that the only damage is actually the push-rod, costing a few bucks.....

You can see what goes into your clutch on-line here. If you plan on investigating yourself, get yourself the FSM first, if you don't have one. Get the genuine H-D one, not a cheap copy! It will pay for itself on this job alone.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM
RoadKingKR
Stage IV

Solid Advice,
I've been in the primary and adjusted the clutch and the clutch cable. When I picked it up they told me it would need a clutch but I took it as is and then adjusted the clutch and I've been riding it ever since. Local HD Mechanic was not surprised by wear but the cable giving way but told me he would be really surprised if the clutch pack was worn at 7500 miles. That being said the PD's put a lot of wear and tear on the clutch's when training. Also, when I say it "snapped" I mean I was doing 70 and went to shift and it felt and sounded like it snapped or came loose. It was catastrophic not a gradual thing at all.
Anyway... thank you for the link.
One final question: I have seen manuals for the FLHPi's and Wondering if they are that much different than the civilian. Same engine same suspension... the only thing I can imagine would be different might be the electrical and a few misc plates to mount gear on.
Kel

Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

You're right about the manual, you will need the normal civilian version in any event, plus the Police supplement for all the Police specific stuff. If your bike has ABS you may well need that extra book, as it was used on Police models before it was fitted on civilian models.