Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch-54/)
-   -   Trans Sprocket Locking Tool (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/1213590-trans-sprocket-locking-tool.html)

bustert 01-07-2018 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well this is a jist of it. there was a frame member at the bottom of the aluminum bars each side, use your tom terrific hat and i am sure you can get-r-done.

Attachment 620644

Jamn 01-07-2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by bustert (Post 16976833)
well this is a jist of it. there was a frame member at the bottom of the aluminum bars each side, use your tom terrific hat and i am sure you can get-r-done.

https://i.imgur.com/QOntFW2.jpg

Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.

98hotrodfatboy 01-07-2018 06:24 PM

What I have done in the past is while sitting on the bike I would apply the rear brake (very firmly) and with my socket and torque wrench tighten it to spec. It's not easy but I have done it. You can always have someone else applying the brake... Much easier.. 110 ft lbs...

TomCop 01-08-2018 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jamn
I understand, but I'm tightening the Trans Sprocket nut behind the clutch assembly. So clutch and compensator are removed.

So you a need pulley locking tool.

Jamn 01-08-2018 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TomCop (Post 16978069)
So you a need pulley locking tool.

Yes. But looking for another alternative if possible.

djl 01-09-2018 03:17 PM

I have the tool in the pic TomCop posted which I am willing to rent; however, I would require a postal MO in the full amount of the cost of the tool in case I never see it again, plus the outbound and inbound shipping cost; I would return the MO when I received the tool back in good condition. By the time I get the MO and you get the tool, say 7-10 days, you could have removed the trans top cover, shift drum and put the trans in two gears, doesn't matter which two, which locks the trans allowing you to install and torque the trans pulley several times. If the bike was a softail, not so easy but on a touring model, a piece of cake; your call.:icon_wink:

And no, it's not risky.:icon_doh:

Jamn 01-09-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 16982619)
I have the tool in the pic TomCop posted which I am willing to rent; however, I would require a postal MO in the full amount of the cost of the tool in case I never see it again, plus the outbound and inbound shipping cost; I would return the MO when I received the tool back in good condition. By the time I get the MO and you get the tool, say 7-10 days, you could have removed the trans top cover, shift drum and put the trans in two gears, doesn't matter which two, which locks the trans allowing you to install and torque the trans pulley several times. If the bike was a softail, not so easy but on a touring model, a piece of cake; your call.:icon_wink:

Thank you very much. I popped the top tonight. Trans gets locked up tomorrow. :icon_toast:

Max Headflow 01-09-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by djl (Post 16982619)

AFAIK this only works for 5 speeds. On a 5 speed, you pop the top and remove the shift drum.. On a 6 speed, you can't do that..

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 01-10-2018 10:09 AM

I prefer an impact.

djl 01-10-2018 10:46 AM

Never tried locking a six speed as I described in my previous; have used this approach on five speeds several times. However, if what Max posted in #18 is correct, and I have no reason to doubt, the offer to "rent" the OP the tool still stands. So, Jamn, PM me if you need the tool.:icon_wink: