Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans Sprocket Locking Tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:30 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

well this is a jist of it. there was a frame member at the bottom of the aluminum bars each side, use your tom terrific hat and i am sure you can get-r-done.

Trans Sprocket Locking Tool-qontfw2.jpg

Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Jamn
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
well this is a jist of it. there was a frame member at the bottom of the aluminum bars each side, use your tom terrific hat and i am sure you can get-r-done.

Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

What I have done in the past is while sitting on the bike I would apply the rear brake (very firmly) and with my socket and torque wrench tighten it to spec. It's not easy but I have done it. You can always have someone else applying the brake... Much easier.. 110 ft lbs...

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 AM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamn
I understand, but I'm tightening the Trans Sprocket nut behind the clutch assembly. So clutch and compensator are removed.
So you a need pulley locking tool.

Attached Thumbnails Trans Sprocket Locking Tool-photo339.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Jamn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TomCop
So you a need pulley locking tool.
Yes. But looking for another alternative if possible.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have the tool in the pic TomCop posted which I am willing to rent; however, I would require a postal MO in the full amount of the cost of the tool in case I never see it again, plus the outbound and inbound shipping cost; I would return the MO when I received the tool back in good condition. By the time I get the MO and you get the tool, say 7-10 days, you could have removed the trans top cover, shift drum and put the trans in two gears, doesn't matter which two, which locks the trans allowing you to install and torque the trans pulley several times. If the bike was a softail, not so easy but on a touring model, a piece of cake; your call.

And no, it's not risky.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Jamn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
I have the tool in the pic TomCop posted which I am willing to rent; however, I would require a postal MO in the full amount of the cost of the tool in case I never see it again, plus the outbound and inbound shipping cost; I would return the MO when I received the tool back in good condition. By the time I get the MO and you get the tool, say 7-10 days, you could have removed the trans top cover, shift drum and put the trans in two gears, doesn't matter which two, which locks the trans allowing you to install and torque the trans pulley several times. If the bike was a softail, not so easy but on a touring model, a piece of cake; your call.

And no, it's not risky.
Thank you very much. I popped the top tonight. Trans gets locked up tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by djl

And no, it's not risky.

AFAIK this only works for 5 speeds. On a 5 speed, you pop the top and remove the shift drum.. On a 6 speed, you can't do that..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I prefer an impact.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Never tried locking a six speed as I described in my previous; have used this approach on five speeds several times. However, if what Max posted in #18 is correct, and I have no reason to doubt, the offer to "rent" the OP the tool still stands. So, Jamn, PM me if you need the tool.

Quick Reply: Trans Sprocket Locking Tool