Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list

Old 02-20-2018, 01:59 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike when I helped my friend out we found that the spring had collapsed as well. The replacement didn't have a gap as you are describing

Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I don't know if or how much the spring is collapsed. Here are a few photos. The first, with the spring cover held up in place, that gap is how far the spring pack compresses once the nut is tightened. About 1/8"

There is a little wear on the face of the spring where it contacts the outer ramp hub.

The last two show the condition of the ramp peaks, and the sprocket.

Replace or run it?

compression gap

A little wear at the contact area

The peaks

the valleys

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

It's hard to say for sure but looks like the gap on the spring is ok. It looks like the spring is pretty much on top near the dimples that retain it. A side view of the gap would be easier to tell.

We got the compensator spring for $50. on ebay. When we compared the used to new it was a no brainer.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,802 Likes on 1,756 Posts

JP cycles has parts and complete compensators, running one on a V111 for about 40k miles now, had my doubts when I bought it, but holding up fine, it was $ 99 at the time. Also used individual comp parts on other bikes with no problems.

http://ipaperus.ipaperus.com/JPCycle...rley/?page=244

Old 02-21-2018, 12:23 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Think I would do a new spring and call it good. The wear on the cam lobes looks normal for an 06.Also make sure you check the chain tension in multiple spots you want to set it at 5/8"-7/8" at the tightest spot. If the chain is too loose it can slap the primary and make a racket. if the chain is hitting the primary it will leave a mark near the motor sprocket.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for all the advice fellers! Much appreciated

Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Dang it. Jen-Yoo-Wine HD part takes a while to get, unless I wanna drive a couple hundred miles up north. Local HD says 7-10 days, Surdyke says 7-10 days PLUS 3 or to get it from their warehouse.

Price really isn't an object here, even though the genuine HD part is three times the price of the piece from JP Cycles (import. probably chinese).

So what's a feller to do? (A feller SHOULDA taken care of this when the weather was cold). With springtime poppin' out, it's prime ridin' weather.

Choices are,
1) Order genuine HD part and Wait.
2) Use an import part, knowing it may not last long. (not hard to replace though).
3) Put 'er back together only doing a chain and clutch adjustment and deal with it later.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 336 Likes on 216 Posts

Options 1 & 3

Order the HD parts, and if you need to ride while waiting put it back together and ride.

Last edited by S.D.M.F; 02-23-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
Options 1 & 3

Order the HD parts, and if you need to ride while waiting put it back together and ride.
Sound advice. I think that is what I'm gonna do!

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

So I stopped into my local indy to get a primary gasket to put 'er back together, and showed him my existing compensator. He thought it looked OK, but then he talked up the BDL replacement compensator that uses friction rings instead of steel ramps. He said he's been running one on his personal bike for quite a while and he was really happy with it. Less than $100, so I figured why not give it a shot.

I read some reviews on this forum from a few years back and a couple guys had some issues with it. These guys had big motors with some power. Mine is still stock size with....not much power.

Maybe it'll work OK, maybe it won't won't. So, I'll run with it and see what happens. At worst, I'm out a bit of money and the time to swap it back out. As a long time drag racer, I'm not a stranger to stuff not living up to expectations. You pay your money and take your chances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list