Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

She's up and running. Put in a new chain "shoe" while it was apart, and replaced the shift arm bushing.

It was really nice to not hear the comp unit clattering. So far, (LOL two miles) it runs quietly. As quietly as an air cooled motor right under your *** can run anyway.

If it fails, I'll let y'all know. As far as the way it's designed, failure would be locking up into a solid unit. Which is not altogether a bad thing.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

One of the member had PM'd me about the BDL comp unit and how it was holding up. They were asking because all there are is bad reviews, and the comment was that rarely is there positive feedback. So, I thought I'd share where I am with it as of now....

I've put about 800 miles on the bike since installing it. It is actually a very simple design, almost "clutch-like." The instructions call for "anti-seize" on the hub threads, where the inner and outer bodies thread together. This is what engages the "clutch". Under power, the body tightens and engages the clutch. Let off the throttle, and it loosens. I did not use an "Anti Seize" nickel based compound. I really only use that kind of stuff where high temps are involved, such as exhaust systems. I used Molybdenum Disulphide grease on the threads and under the head of the bolt. Red Loctite on the bolt threads. Torqued to 175 ft/lbs. Moly grease under the head allows a truer torque reading. I use this stuff on rod bolts, threads and under the bolt head, as well head bolts and cam lobes on my race motors.

At any rate, I too had read the bad reviews of the unit seizing on the threads or the bolt coming loose, so I was very methodical on the assembly. The plan is at 2000 miles, remove the primary cover and inspect.

So far, I'm getting no noise or any unusual behavior. It's pretty nice not hearing the clattering of the stock compensator. But, I don't think I have enough time on it to be truly sure.

Would I recommend it? Hard to say at this point. The reviews I read were from those who push their stuff a lot harder than I do with much bigger motors. My riding style is very conservative. but then I get my speed kicks at the race track with my drag race car. On the bike, rarely if ever full throttle, and the thing hardly ever sees the other side of 4000 rpm. On downshifting, I typically try to match the rpm as best I can before releasing the clutch lever to minimize primary/tranny shock.

I think that if I had a well prepped crank, such as an S&S three piece, or a welded stocker, I might just go with a solid hub and remove the comp unit from the equation. Guys that go with belt drives don't have a comp unit, so just how critical a component is it?