Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default 2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list

The compensator has been rattling for some time now, and I know it's not really an issue on this model, but I'd like to do something about it anyway. A guy I talked to at Baker said the test was, put it high gear, hold the brake and start letting out the clutch while rolling into the throttle. If it clatters, it needs work.

Well, it clatters.

I'm not complaining, the thing has 60,000 miles. It's probably not gonna fail any time soon either. I just wanna freshen it up and try to quiet it down a little.

Anyway, I want to get the needed parts ahead of time, so when I pop it open, the downtime can be minimized.

Can you guys help a feller out with a parts list of what I need to get?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

If you mean the parts for installing a Baker comp, just pop over to their website where you can probably download their installation instructions. If you prefer replacing with an H-D one, this parts website gives the stock items. Whichever you decide on a FSM will answer what's left! More help will be along soon.....

Old 02-15-2018, 01:49 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike,

I recently helped a friend with a 2005 Electra Glide Classic. Everything sounded like the compensator was going bad. Took the outer primary cover off. Removed the chain tensioner, set the block to lock the clutch and primary sprocket. Expecting to use a lot of force to break the primary sprocket nut, it was loose. Being loose it caused the compensator spring to collapse some. Cleaned and used Red loctite, torqued it down and all good.

So to answer your question re: parts list.

First a replacement gasket for outer primary cover, derby cover, o-ring for primary drain plug and primary oil. Also a heavy duty torque wrench. About 175 ft lbs. We did have a replacement compensator spring on hand luckily.

You really don't know what you will need til you inspect.

As to what GR said about FSM, definitely a yes. Yes the HD can be a PITA to read and find the info you need, but it's all in there.

This friend had a Clinton manual, I didn't like it and found a used one on ebay for $50.
Well worth it.

Last edited by silveradoman2; 02-15-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys.
Silveradoman, I'm suspecting the same scenario as you described with your friend's bike.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

We don't make a comp for the 06, usually the only thing that goes wrong with the early models is the bolt backing out and the occasional failed spring pack. Just use stock replacement parts.

The following users liked this post:
AKJames (05-06-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
We don't make a comp for the 06, usually the only thing that goes wrong with the early models is the bolt backing out and the occasional failed spring pack. Just use stock replacement parts.
Yep, that's what your man told me when I inquired. I really REALLY appreciated the honesty and not trying to sell me something just to make the sale. That says a lot in my book. Whenever I do need something you can help me with, you'll be my first call.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike if it is the same, do what others have said and shave off the sprocket nut so it doesn't get loose again.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,736 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Call your dealer, they have a whole department dedicated to parts.

The following users liked this post:
soft 02 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by roussfam
Call your dealer, they have a whole department dedicated to parts.
Wow! now there's a thought!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Well the comp nut seemed to be nice and tight. Had a few burrs on the hex as if it had been off before. Had red locktite in the threads. Nice and clean inside the primary housing. Primary chain has about 13/16" play, so maybe on the loose side of the tolerance. I'll tighten that up just a bit.

The compensator spring height measures .665". There is about 1/8" of gap between the splined hub and the inside surface of the comp housing, representing the compression distance. I haven't been able to find a spec chart with those measurements.

If I were to guess, I'm thinkin' it too is probably within spec, and I'll just to learn to live with a bit of clatter. At least I know it wasn't fallin' apart.

Quick Reply: 2006 Deluxe Compensator Parts list