Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Deisel Harley. Which bikes had the same 5 speed internals as my 88flt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That is engineering speak, in which "uniplanar vibrations" simply means an engine unit which naturally vibrates up and down, which our Harleys do, as will your diesel engine. The "uniplanar isolation system" is what I have already described above, in which the "motor" (meaning the engine/transmission) is mounted at three points, with stabilizers to control how it can vibrate in only the vertical plane.
Minor note. Uniplaner means the vibrations are in the plane.. In this case a vertical plane that is in line with the frame. In other words you also need to think about front to rear vibrations or more correctly all radial vibes in that plane.

Add:

Also you will need to stabilize the mounting so that any forces perpendicular to that plane are transmitted to the frame. The main reason for this stems from the rear wheel needing stabilization in that plane so that the front and rear wheels maintain proper alignment. I too have looked at Buell's patent along with the Norton patent and a few others.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 04-27-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add:
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Finmad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I spent a lot of time many years ago studying Harley's US patents relating to their rubber mount bikes, which Erik Buell had a major hand in. So my comments here are based on my understanding of the original concept. I've had to retrace my steps and study them again, to refresh my memory! For reference simply do an internet search for "US patent 4776423A" and "US patent 6,213,240B1", but get a long drink first!

In the first of those Buell says in the ABSTRACT:

"A motorcycle frame design featuring a uniplanar isolation system. This is a system for vehicles which have motors that have basically uniplanar vibrations. It provides mounting means which allow the motor to have vertical and longitudinal movement, but prevent lateral motion of the motor and rear suspension unit with respect to the main frame."

That is engineering speak, in which "uniplanar vibrations" simply means an engine unit which naturally vibrates up and down, which our Harleys do, as will your diesel engine. The "uniplanar isolation system" is what I have already described above, in which the "motor" (meaning the engine/transmission) is mounted at three points, with stabilizers to control how it can vibrate in only the vertical plane.

To answer your question about adding an extra support at B, I believe that is inviting problems. The original rubber system of your bike had the engine and transmission fastened together and I really do suggest that is what you do with your bike. Only that way can you maintain the concept of the three point mounting system and the benefits it gives, bearing in mind that you also have the bulk and weight of the swingarm and rear wheel hanging off the back of the transmission.

Alright, I am going to give it a shot without mounting at B. What's the worst that can happen?? I break the transmission mounting surface. I will build the top mount strong enough to "catch" the motor if the junction between the engine and trans fails, so I don't drop a $2,000 motor on the ground at speed. Lets put our faith in engineering.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Finmad
Alright, I am going to give it a shot without mounting at B. What's the worst that can happen?? I break the transmission mounting surface. I will build the top mount strong enough to "catch" the motor if the junction between the engine and trans fails, so I don't drop a $2,000 motor on the ground at speed. Lets put our faith in engineering.
Do mount the engine and transmission together well, so they function structurally as one unit. I've had all manner of problems trying to find suitable pictures, but here's one that will do:

This is a set of engine mounting plates, showing the crankcases in place, with provision for the transmission to the left. Once bolted up they will form a single unit, the sort of thing I suggest you put together. Obviously your solution may be quite different, to match your actual trans and engine, but the ambition is the same. Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

I'm not smart enough to add anything useful to this thread. but I'm going to follow it in the hopes of learning a little something.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Also you will need to stabilize the mounting so that any forces perpendicular to that plane are transmitted to the frame. The main reason for this stems from the rear wheel needing stabilization in that plane so that the front and rear wheels maintain proper alignment. I too have looked at Buell's patent along with the Norton patent and a few others.
I have recent Sportster and Buell, both of which have all three of Erik Buell's lateral stabilisers, and on my old Glide a True-Track kit, giving it also a third stabilizer. That's an option for Finmad as he works out a solution for the engine/trans unit.