Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

08 6spd installed updated Main Drive Bearing and now have mainshaft end play?

Old 06-23-2018, 06:17 PM
Todd v.
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I had the noisy main drive gear bearing issue, went to the dealer and picked up the parts I needed and they gave me an updated bearing? It is a single row ball bearing that replaces the double tapered ball bearing and is all one piece rather than having the separate spacer, I have read nothing about them doing this so was skeptical that it was right but the catalog said it was, the dimensions were all good and it fit just fine. So I get it back together and noticed maybe an 1/8 inch of end play on the mainshaft. I figured maybe it will tighten up once the inner primary and clutch basket are on but it didn't. Now I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a shim installed under the MDG bearing but have had no luck in my research.

It creates a problem adjusting the clutch because when the shaft is pushed inward (toward the right side of the bike) the adjustment is all good as far as free play but when you pull the clutch lever it just pushes the shaft back out toward the left side of the bike until the lever is halfway down then it starts releasing the clutch. If I adjust to compensate for this it will undoubtedly be putting pressure on the throwout bearing constantly which will kill it pretty quickly I'd guess.

So anyway, does anyone have any knowledge of this new bearing or did they give me a wrong part, and if so does it need to be shimmed up somehow? I don't want to finish putting the rest of the **** back on the bike until I figure it out, I really don't think it'll be okay the way it is.

Actually now that I thought about it the play has to be coming from the trap door bearing and must have been that way before as the mainshaft bolts through that bearing at the trap door. Guess I need a couple more parts. Good on Harley to update the bearing type though, finally.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-23-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,218 Likes on 3,603 Posts

Mainshaft end play is controlled by the bearing in the trap door. It is likely bad or the trap door has an issue where it can't hold the bearing.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Todd v.
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thaanks. I finished putting it together and will do the trap door bearings this fall when I plan do do some bigger upgrades. Everything in there was smooth but the main drive gear bearing, it's all quiet now and working like it should so should be fine for a few thousand more miles. No long trips planned for that bike till next year.