Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM
wfetech
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you again . Al ready made to tools to R&R the pulley along with one to hold the pulley when removing the nut and one to R&R the inner bearing race for the primary cover off the shaft . I have a lath and Mig And Tig welding so I might make a attempt to make a tool for the MDG . If not I will go with the Georges Garage tool have used them before and he has good prices and good quality tools . Anyway got a bit of a job ahead of me . Thanks Robert

Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 PM
wfetech
6th Gear

Removed gear set finally ,main drive needle bearing failed ,shaft ruined MD gear bearing also us will have to be replaced . Guessing a thousand dollars for parts and tools . Bike only has seventy thousand KL . Typically Harley putting cheap parts in and waiting for the aftermarket and owners wallets to fix the problems . From what I have been reading this a common problem with the six speeds

Old 07-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by wfetech

Removed gear set finally ,main drive needle bearing failed ,shaft ruined MD gear bearing also us will have to be replaced . Guessing a thousand dollars for parts and tools . Bike only has seventy thousand KL . Typically Harley putting cheap parts in and waiting for the aftermarket and owners wallets to fix the problems . From what I have been reading this a common problem with the six speeds
It's also a common problem with those who run the pepto in their trannies in cooler climates.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:39 PM
wfetech
6th Gear
Default Pepto

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It's also a common problem with those who run the pepto in their trannies in cooler climates.
pepto?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wfetech
pepto?
Bismo. Shock proof,, The pink stuff.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-28-2019 at 10:42 PM. Reason: bismo
Old 07-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I use redline in the tranny so I can see what is leaking. It is now about $20 a quart which is crazy price. Not sure what I am going to do. Buy in bulk if I can. I can afford it, but I hate letting someone **** me.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Problem was the shaft. Always going to be a weak point when there is no inner race. Quality roller bearings probably start with quality steel that only requires harding with heat, oil quench and then tempering at a lower temperature and another oil bath cooling to stress relieve.

That gear shaft requires case harding by a process in a furnace with out oxygen and the carbon is introduced with a gas added to the furnace. Takes time. And to get it deep, takes days. When ground, that removes some of the depth. Probably ended up with probably only .008 depth. It probably broke off leaving the soft underbelly whick you can see long ago and has been running like that till play overwelmed the oil seal. The gear teeth and such were supporting the run out.

Part of my first 4 year apprenticeship was a 3 month stent in heat-treating. I monitored 6 of theses furnaces. Some ran a week to get proper depth on parts. The rest of the time i spent loading air hammer tool ends in a furnace and manually dipping them in oil. Hot and dirty work from being covered in oil smoke.

We also had melted lead pots that we kept a layer of charcoal on top burning. We even hot oil bath treated delrin like the tensioner shoes in a Harley. Our shoes where mask guides for LA class subs.

None of the regular workers lived long after retirement. The boss that instructed me died an early death from lung cancer.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-29-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:44 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I know the main drive gear needle bearings had a reputation for moving out of position on some five speed transmissions, but I don`t recall any issues with the main drive gear needle bearings being an issue on the six speed gearboxes, has this been a problem on the six speed units?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I know the main drive gear needle bearings had a reputation for moving out of position on some five speed transmissions, but I don`t recall any issues with the main drive gear needle bearings being an issue on the six speed gearboxes, has this been a problem on the six speed units?
It's been fixed in one way. When HD went to the 6 speed, they added a spacer between the bearings so is if one walked towards the other it would be stopped by the spacer.. DJL had the same issue with a twist gear setup in a 5 speed and I made a spacer for him.

Besides Ripsaws discussion about heat treat, another issue can also be using too thick of oil in cooler temps. The oil has trouble reaching that inner bearing. As I understand it was also possible on Evo 5 speeds where the tranny was not directly attached to engine. It took longer for the tranny to warm up. This stuff came up on on an old Yahoo mail list forum 20 years ago before all these fancy forums. There was a pretty sharp mechanic in Michigan (IIRC) that saw left side needle bearing failures as a pretty common issue on bikes using redline shockproof in the trannies. He had seen a few failures of the bearing and every one had been using the Pepto.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Also if you look at the 6 speed diagram, they use the spacer and a snap ring on each side to keep the bearings from walking.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil leak