Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

94 evo 5 speed tranny fluid choices

Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Aircooled81
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 evo 5 speed tranny fluid choices

94 Dyna Wide Glide, has 18k miles. Pulled the Tranny to replace the main drive bearing and seal, also fixed some other leaks on this bike.
I used Formula + in the tranny, 24oz's got me to the full line "F" with the bike straight-up dip stick resting on top of the threads (not threaded in).
got back from test drive and after I set it on the jiffy stand a puddle formed under her.
after investigation it looks like it blew it out the Tranny vent hose, I rechecked the fluid level and it was about 1/16 below the "F" line. I chose not to top it off.
Through a sock over the vent hose, burned some more rubber and noticed 1 time shifting between 3 and 4th gear I slid into neutral. Might have been user error cause it only happened once and I dont ride a dyna normally, foot pegs are much further forward than my floorboards on SG.

Is there a chance that Formula + ( I think it's 20W/50) is too thin for this model Tranny and I should change it to 75/90 or 75/110 gear oil? I cant find a reference for what the Manual called for as Semi-Synthetic 99892-84. Or should I just leave the formula + in and never fill the fluid to the "F" line again?

Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

24 oz sounds right. Upright with stick sitting on top of thresds. All the above sounds fine for lubrication. All around 50 W. I would stick with Harley's +.

Where were the other leaks?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-30-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:08 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

If you had to replace the main trans bearing at 18k miles- obviously something happened to that 5speed- like it has run with no fluid- or something similar. When you had the trans apart- did you replace any gears? The false neutral between 3rd and 4th is a known issue in many well worn 5 speeds. The dogs on the 4th gear get a bit rounded off and under power- the gear will pop itself back out- creating the false neutral. If you ride like an old lady- its not much of a problem- but if you like to row through the gears with any power- its trouble. You could chase your tail around- trying fluids- shifter pawl adjustment- swapping misc.parts- but my issue never quit until i rebuilt it with new gears. Just my opinion- im sure someone here will tell me im full of ****.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:15 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

First F+ is not 20/50. It is about a 50W and is prefect your Trans. Fill to about 24 OZ Do not fill to full mark on the stick it will expand a lot when hot. It should only reach full mark when Hot not just warm.
Having to fix it a 18K is odd that gear box is about bullet proof.

Last edited by smitty901; 12-31-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Aircooled81
Novice

Thanks for the input,
The cylinder gaskets had minor weeping, head gaskets minor weeping, many hoses cracked and dried out, took the top end off swapped gaskets, new rings, repaired the valves and replaced valve seals, she was spitting oil out of the rear cylinder exhaust - lapping the vavles and replacing the seals corrected that.
Bike is 25 years old, sits for years without being turned over, needed a bunch of R&R.
Test ride yesterday (60 miles) runs well, no more leaks. Well minor weeping at tranny case cover gasket and oil pump cover gasket, but only faint - not able to feel wetness just see the discoloration from weep that prob dries up when running hot.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 PM
Aircooled81
Novice

I think the belt may have been overtightened in the past or it just sat for so long the seal dried-up?.
The bearing felt ok but since I was in there I swapped it out anyways. I didnt replace any gears, everything in there looked clean. I did check the forks to make sure they were not bowed or curved, there was no metal debris in the case or oil I drained out.
The rider is not by anymeans aggressive so I dont anticipate heavy riding on that saddle.
Thank you for your input and opion,

Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 3,012 Posts

I believe that you check it with the dipstick threaded in.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Aircooled81
Novice

Good tip on the level, Thank you for your input.
Bearing was only replaced because I was in there swapping the seal and I wanted to pull the tranny out on the bench for inspection. I agree that is a solid transmission, I think the seal may have dried out or someone had overtightened the belt long ago. ?
I am not happy about weeping gaskets, I used the torque specs in the book and typical tightening patters, probably going to use copper coat gasket compound on the next evo I do, surfaces were clean and square - if new gaskets and correct torque specs are cutting it close the copper coat will seal the deal. - thoughts?
There was also a P-in the -A to deal with the oil filter leak. Some reason the oil filter would start dripping, I swapped it out twice after checking the surface and eventually changed the long nipple inside to a shorter version, went with the long oil filter (heard pressure drop is a big deal on evo oil pumps) and drip never returned?
Last thing to sort out on this bike will be carb adjustment and idle, otherwise she operates like a well oiled machine. Pretty sure I’m going to get me a dyna project for this summer, fun bike!

Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Aircooled81
Novice

I’ll double check the manual, I’m pretty sure engine oil is dipstick all the way in bike on the jiffy stand, tranny fluid is bike straight-up dip stick resting on the threads.
Another poster replied to check it hot not cold due to expansion and that makes real good sense to me.
The primary is either the recomeneded fluid ounces which I think is 28-32oz (but I’d have to double check the book) or bike straight-up oil level is 2-3/4” below the center of the clutch.

thanks for the input.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:54 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Correct— dipstick resting on threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 evo 5 speed tranny fluid choices