Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shift shaft Seal Part# ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Have R/R so many inner primary's to replace IPB race on earlier models that unless Murhpy shows up, it's about a 4 hour job. The first three times, it was a headache but after that, pretty routine. Protect the IPB seal from getting nicked by the splines on the main shaft, wrap the shaft with painters tape or something similar; it doesn't take much and you will be back in to stop that leak. That IPB seal is easily damaged.
Thanks for the heads up.i will be sure to tape up mainshaft and shift shaft so not to damage the seal cause I definitely don’t wanna be into this again. One more question. Would you suggest changing crank seal while im in there? My Bike is getting up there on miles and i went ahead and bought crank seal but not sure if I should go ahead and do it or not since its not leaking but seeing how much is involved in removing inner primary etc I figured why not change it. I am a firm believer if aint broke dont fix tho.

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by SFinley70
Thanks for the heads up.i will be sure to tape up mainshaft and shift shaft so not to damage the seal cause I definitely don’t wanna be into this again. One more question. Would you suggest changing crank seal while im in there? My Bike is getting up there on miles and i went ahead and bought crank seal but not sure if I should go ahead and do it or not since its not leaking but seeing how much is involved in removing inner primary etc I figured why not change it. I am a firm believer if aint broke dont fix tho.
I also am in the "if it ain't broke............" crowd as well but the seals behind the inner primary being an exception. Anytime I am in the inner primary, I replace every seal including the quad seal and if high mileage the spacer as well and the main shaft/fifth gear seal although that one is a PITA to remove. IIRC, the bike is pretty low mileage so, in your case, why borrow trouble and just replace the leaking seals. There is always the possibility that you botch a seal install and develop a leak that currently doesn't exist; let sleeping dogs lie but that's your call.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
I also am in the "if it ain't broke............" crowd as well but the seals behind the inner primary being an exception. Anytime I am in the inner primary, I replace every seal including the quad seal and if high mileage the spacer as well and the main shaft/fifth gear seal although that one is a PITA to remove. IIRC, the bike is pretty low mileage so, in your case, why borrow trouble and just replace the leaking seals. There is always the possibility that you botch a seal install and develop a leak that currently doesn't exist; let sleeping dogs lie but that's your call.
Right on! Well if nothing else i have the crank seal on hand so i think I will just let that be until it’s needed. Im gonna do ipb +seal + transmission mainshaft seal and shift shaft seal cause those I know are leaking and of course replace gaskets that are required when taking inner primary housing off. Again appreciate you chiming in here👍🏻

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:32 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by SFinley70
I have the tool to remove/press ipb back in so im good there.
Curious as to which and who's tool you are going to use? Jims, Georges Garage, etc?

Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Curious as to which and who's tool you are going to use? Jims, Georges Garage, etc?
Using Jims Tools

Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Ran into a problem. Cant remove the 2-1/4 inch nut off gear drive i have the socket and am using 3/4 inch breaker with heat and still no luck. Thought about just grinding the nut and then taking a chisel and breaking it off but before I even go that route I looked for a replacement nut and cant find it online. Do you happen to know part number or online site to find one so i can order? My leak is behind the gear drive so gotta get it off. How hard was the quad seal? This fix has been a pain in my ***! Hoping to have my bike back on the rode by next weekend if not sooner but gotta order everything online..What really sucks is my local Harley dealer closed down and if i need a part from another dealer its a 2 hour drive there and 2 hours back.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Rent, beg, borrow, steal, or buy an electric impact. This is just an example:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...nch-64120.html

I used one that was 450 ft lbs of torque to remove and install mine.

The quad seal is easy to replace but hard to get at. It sits behind a spacer. You should replace the quad seal, the spacer, and the larger seal that fits over the spacer. Also the small mainshaft seal, and the inner primary bearing seal. The spacer can get a groove cut in it from the seal, so for the 20 bucks, just replace it.

Is it leaking primary fluid or trans fluid. That will help narrow down what needs attention, but if your in there you might as well replace all the seals. The inner primary bearing seal will most likely get damaged when you remove the inner primary.

Replacement nuts from Dennis Kirk or JP will be at your door in 2 days. They probably have all the parts you need. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 06-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:44 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog

The quad seal is easy to replace but hard to get at. It sits behind a spacer. You should replace the quad seal, the spacer, and the larger seal that fits over the spacer. Also the small mainshaft seal, and the inner primary bearing seal. The spacer can get a groove cut in it from the seal, so for the 20 bucks, just replace it.

Is it leaking primary fluid or trans fluid. That will help narrow down what needs attention, but if your in there you might as well replace all the seals. The inner primary bearing seal will most likely get damaged when you remove the inner primary.

Replacement nuts from Dennis Kirk or JP will be at your door in 2 days. They probably have all the parts you need. YD
Finally got it off. Went into a buddies and he let me use his electric impact and with a little heat it came off. Im leaking transmission fluid at the big seal so i ordered a seal kit from Dennis Kirk and with being the weekend it wont be here till Wednesday. Also thanks YD for you reply back on previous question....* edit because I figured out my question i had asked in this comment. Thanks again YD 👍🏻

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-16-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog

Well looks like i opened a can of warms here. Once i got it apart and removed the big seal I immediately noticed a problem with the bearings behind the seal which is why the seal started leaking (too much side to side movement in shaft). Is that race supposed to be that forward from the bearings? Guess it doesn’t matter cause its all gotta be replaced now..Again i cant seem to find the mainshaft gear bearings online so if anybody has a link or anything please comment. Again i have the 2008 Ultra Classic 6 speed

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Found Bearings Part# 8967

Quick Reply: Shift shaft Seal Part# ??