Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shift shaft Seal Part# ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Shift shaft Seal Part# ??

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic which has the 6 speed transmission...well i developed a leak at the transmission mainshaft seal so im gonna replace the seal along with the inner primary bearing etc. and while im in there i want to go ahead and change the Shift shaft seal ( mine is leaking a little also) but am having trouble finding a part #. Im hoping someone here can help?

Old 06-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Its different for 5 and 6 speeds. Just email cometic and get the real number, or put up a thread on a forum and hope for the best.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zerk
Its different for 5 and 6 speeds. Just email cometic and get the real number, or put up a thread on a forum and hope for the best.
Yeah i seen the 5 and 6 speeds are different and you are probably right about just getting ahold of Cometic and asking them. I have all my parts coming Friday and the only thing im Missing is the shifter shaft seal. My local Harley-Davidsons closed down so i cant go there and grab one so i have to order online. If not for the transmission mainshaft seal leaking I wouldn’t even bother with the shifter shaft seal but since im gonna be in there im replacing everything . I aint trying to do this again anytime soon. Appreciate you input here Zerk

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-12-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SFinley70
I have a 2008 Ultra Classic which has the 6 speed transmission...well i developed a leak at the transmission mainshaft seal so im gonna replace the seal along with the inner primary bearing etc. and while im in there i want to go ahead and change the Shift shaft seal ( mine is leaking a little also) but am having trouble finding a part #. Im hoping someone here can help?
The shifter shaft seal HD part number 11000101 Dennis Kirk and others have alternate part numbers. Good luck with that inner primary bearing, especially if you're not using a press. Mine was a nightmare.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:11 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
The shifter shaft seal HD part number 11000101 Dennis Kirk and others have alternate part numbers. Good luck with that inner primary bearing, especially if you're not using a press. Mine was a nightmare.
Thanks! I ordered most of my parts from Dennis Kirk but they said they didn’t carry shifter seal for my 08 Ultra. How did you end up getting the race back on? I looked on Dennis Kirk with that number and it’s saying that it only fits 2017 and 2018 Flh etc . Is there a difference in those year 6 speeds shift seal than my 2008 6 speed shifter?

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-13-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks! I ordered most of my parts from Dennis Kirk but they said they didn’t carry shifter seal for my 08 Ultra. How did you end up getting the race back on? I looked on Dennis Kirk with that number and it’s saying that it only fits 2017 and 2018 Flh etc . Is there a difference in those year 6 speeds shift seal than my 2008 6 speed shifter?
https://www.denniskirk.com/cometic/s...rd/1401287.sku It says fits 2017.... but it replaces the OEM part number for the seal that also fits an 08. HD part number is the same for all in between.
How did I get the race back on? There isn't a separate race if I remember correctly. When I said nightmare, I meant it. It was my first attempt. Long story short, the inner part of the bearing separated from the outer portion. When that happened, I couldn't get anything to grab on to what was left. Fortunately, I found a new take off on ebay and just replaced the entire thing. Press is highly recommended.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

You will need a press to install the new inner primary bearing; you can knock the old one out but since the new one should be pressed in, might as well take the primary case to a shop with a press and let them R/R the IPB. How does the race look? Of course, you will need a new seal as well; the MoCo piece will work fine. IIRC, the later models had an oil feed hole to the IPB and the retaining ring should be placed so as no to block that oil feed hole.

Don't bother with the OEM shift shaft seal; replace it with the Cometic dual lip seal. IIRC, the PN for the six speed models is C9259 but best to call Cometic to verify; they come in a five pack.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
You will need a press to install the new inner primary bearing; you can knock the old one out but since the new one should be pressed in, might as well take the primary case to a shop with a press and let them R/R the IPB. How does the race look? Of course, you will need a new seal as well; the MoCo piece will work fine. IIRC, the later models had an oil feed hole to the IPB and the retaining ring should be placed so as no to block that oil feed hole.

Don't bother with the OEM shift shaft seal; replace it with the Cometic dual lip seal. IIRC, the PN for the six speed models is C9259 but best to call Cometic to verify; they come in a five pack.
I have the tool to remove/press ipb back in so im good there. The race looks good ( no real wear or pitting) I ordered The All B”lls IPB kit that came with seals , bearing and race so i got basically everything i need to do the job I think😳 i orderd the cometic shift shaft seal 👍🏻. I just wished this leak would of presented itself last summer when i had everything apart during my Baker Compensator install. Sure would of saved me the headache

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
https://www.denniskirk.com/cometic/s...rd/1401287.sku It says fits 2017.... but it replaces the OEM part number for the seal that also fits an 08. HD part number is the same for all in between.
How did I get the race back on? There isn't a separate race if I remember correctly. When I said nightmare, I meant it. It was my first attempt. Long story short, the inner part of the bearing separated from the outer portion. When that happened, I couldn't get anything to grab on to what was left. Fortunately, I found a new take off on ebay and just replaced the entire thing. Press is highly recommended.
On the 2008 Flhtcu IPB has its own race for inner primary bearing on the transmission mainshaft which the seal there is what im changing because it developed a leak on my way back from Missouri (not bad leak but enough leaking that i cant stop thinking about it )The race itself looks good and the only reason im thinking of changing inner primary bearing and seal is because im already gonna be in there and i do a lot of riding during riding season here in Ohio. Appreciate you replying back here again. 👍🏻

Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have the tool to remove/press ipb back in so im good there. The race looks good ( no real wear or pitting) I ordered The All B”lls IPB kit that came with seals , bearing and race so i got basically everything i need to do the job I think😳 i orderd the cometic seal. I just wished this leak would of presented itself last summer when i had everything apart during my Baker Compensator install. Sure would of saved me the headache
Have R/R so many inner primary's to replace IPB race on earlier models that unless Murhpy shows up, it's about a 4 hour job. The first three times, it was a headache but after that, pretty routine. Protect the IPB seal from getting nicked by the splines on the main shaft, wrap the shaft with painters tape or something similar; it doesn't take much and you will be back in to stop that leak. That IPB seal is easily damaged.

Quick Reply: Shift shaft Seal Part# ??