Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Compensator

I read at Latus HD the 07 clutch is marginal for that stock motor, in fact it has a weaker clutch then the06 except for a stronger spring.With the addtion of sert, Big sucker,better header exhaust system and nowthe 30tmy clutch does feel (seat of paints) like it's struggling. With the 30t conversion the tq inpulse to the clutch is greater, I had planed to upgrade anyway to somthing with more grab and faster.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 AM
barneyz71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Compensator

I still have this noise and I don't like it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; BTT

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 AM
shootist57
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an expert here but my 2008 Ultra has the same issues. I've read that the SE Compensator has all the requirements to cure the problem. Interesting that it is an available part in the 2008 Parts catalougue.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's main purpose is to reduce crank failures as it will stay in the spring (cushion) zone longer. The stock unit will barely do that in light cruise loads. It should eliminate that bang at startup, reduce pulsing on accel, and reduce some of the shock to the crank when you feel like beating on it.
My softail had terrible driveline chatter, clatter especially in fifth with stock comp. During the winter I modified it's spring rate and had a whole season of happy silent riding with it. By doing so, it's rotational travel on the cam was reduced and under certain conditions you can feel extra pulsing that should not be there, but at least there is no starter bang anymore. This experiment told me the spring rate is insufficiant in the stock 07-08 comps which has been addressed in the SE heavy duty unit. It should bring back the rotational travel that I reduced in my original unit at the same time. It will be going on my scoot this winter as an upgrade for future engine work down the road. Sadly it's another part that should have been installed in the first place from the factory.
Ron

Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, it seems like a life time ago that I started this thread. I had forgot how much I hated my bike last year! Well I love it now! It got too cold to ride last season, so I put it up, and planned to sell it in the spring. I just couldn't sell it and take the hit, so I brought it to a local Indy, and he installed SERT, pipes, and air cleaner. The knock was gone! I really don't know for sure what caused it, but it stands to reason that it had to do with the stock tune. These FI bikes are tuned so close to lean, that if you have one or more sensors off just a little bit, it could cause some severe engine pulses.(pre-ignition?) Anyway I'm really glad I chose to bite the bullet and mod my bike with the afore mentioned up grades. I now have 10,000 miles and I love this bike. I can't believe what a bad place I was in this time last year............This thread brought back some really bad memorys.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same place as you last year. I just hated the bastard considering what it cost. Same time I modded the comp a tmax went on. It was tuned like crap from the factory which no doubt created some driveline noises , as in your case. Still burns my A$$ to think how much it cost to make it run like it should have from the factory.
Ron