Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hydraulic Clutch adjustment-2008 RG

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 AM
badbag
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hydraulic Clutch adjustment-2008 RG

I just had a Barnett Scorpion Hydraulic clutch installed in my 2008 RG. It worked fine when I picked the bike up last night and loaded it on the trailer. After I got home and unloaded the bike this morning, I noticed I had to pull the clutch in 75-80% before it engaged. When I popped it in gear, I could feel the bike pulling, and I also can't hit neutral. I also noticed the clutch handle has fluid residue. I haven't pulled off the master cylinder cover yet. Can somebody give me advice for adjustment, (Which I didn't think was possible) or possibly just a fluid top off with bleed instructions? Thanks!

Last edited by badbag; 09-06-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Top it off and bleed it then top it off again. Don't put too much in or when you put the top on it will spill over. The only adjustment you have is in the clutch basket.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
badbag
Tourer

I've been trying to bleed this thing for over an hour and the clutch handle just isn't getting any tension. When I crack open the bleeder I get a trickle of fluid....nothing substantial. The reservoir is a brand new PM and it was working fine with the HD clutch.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the Scorpion clutch but I have the stock HD hydraulic clutch on my 08 SERK and I don't like it too much either. Engages close to the bar and is alot different in feel than a normal clutch. No adjustment for mine either. Have to live with it.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace07FXDL
Not sure about the Scorpion clutch but I have the stock HD hydraulic clutch on my 08 SERK and I don't like it too much either. Engages close to the bar and is alot different in feel than a normal clutch. No adjustment for mine either. Have to live with it.

I have the hydraulic clutch on my 2005 SE Fat Boy. Zero complaints. IMHO, it works perfect.
I don't like to have to almost completely release the clutch handle, before it engages. I guess it is what ever you get use to.
Years ago I broke a clutch cable on a Triumph. Managed to make it to the dealership. They put on a new cable and adjusted it so it didn't engage until the handle was almost completely released. It had rained before I left their parking lot. When I started off the clutch didn't engage for a split second while I was giving it the gas. The street was cobble stone and I ended up completely side ways one direction then the other before I straightened out. A friend was with some other guys in front of the dealership. He told them I ride like that all the time, so they thought I was showing off.
I consider it muscle memory. After you ride each bike a while there isn't much thought process involved in using the controls. When the controls are altered you have to retrain yourself.
Tom

Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
badbag
Tourer

Paul from Native Baggers came down last night and fixed the bleed issue in 15 minutes!! He's quite the show off!!

It ended up being the mechanical arm that moves back and forth in the reservoir-It wasn;t pullin back far enough past the holes where the fluid gets pushed through!!! Now I can get the bike in for the Dyno tune (Scheduled for next Tuesday) We're hoping for 115-120 HP!!