Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Loctite Pipe Sealant Teflon 565

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loctite Pipe Sealant Teflon 565

My service manual (2001 FLT Models) says to apply Loctite Pipe Sealant with Teflon 565 to the primary case drain plug threads prior to reinstalling it. I shopped for the Loctite with Teflon 565 and couldn't find it. When I talked to the parts guy at the local HD dealership he told me they don't use it. He did however show me the display with blue and red loctite that they sell. I asked a couple local guys and they said to make sure I torqed the nut properly andforget the Loctite because it gums up the threads. The manual doesnt give a torque value for thedrain plug.My questions are: Is Loctite Teflon 565 the same as blue loctite? Do I really need to use it? Where can I get it?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Loctite Pipe Sealant Teflon 565

No, it's not the same as blue and I sure wouldn't use blue for the drain plug!

Did you try google?

Do you have a Fastenal nearby?
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=62419

http://www.hanessupply.com/store/pro...121&prodid=936

If you need something and can't find the spec'd stuff or a direct equivalent I'd recommend teflon tape.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

No I didn't try Google, but your info helped. I printed off the website you gaveand I'll do a search for local dealers. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the primary drain plug, you're just supposed to tighten it to where about a 1/16" is showing. Actually I think they give a metric measurment !! I've always used teflon paste on all three of the plugs. The last time I let the dealer change fluids, I found that the primary was weeping and left little drops on the concrete over night. DO NOT use the red or blue loctite!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

If the plug leaks when tightened correctly then use it.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:05 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I wrap mine with teflon tape and install. My softail has a torque value of 36-60 in/lbs on primary plug but can't garantee on FLT.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had trouble with a slowleak (2-3 drops per day on the floor)from my primary drain plug. No Loctite 565 Pipe Sealant available around here. I tried both Teflon paste and Teflon tape. They held back theleak for about500-700 miles and thenit returned. I'm guessing high temperature finally broke the Teflon down. The best I have found for this problem is Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant, available around here at auto parts stores. It keeps theleak to maybe a drop a week.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 AM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Loctite product is not automotive, it's a plumbing pipe sealant. Look in a hardware store. There are other brands of the same sealant as well that contain teflon in solution as a putty. The use of teflon tape should be avoided with any petrolium product such as mineral oil, grease, and most especially gasoline. Any strands of stray teflon tape can cause oil pressure relief valve problems. If you walk up to an aircraft with teflon tape or a soldering iron in your tool kit, you would probably end up sweeping out the hanger.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

That Loctite product is not automotive, it's a plumbing pipe sealant. Look in a hardware store. There are other brands of the same sealant as well that contain teflon in solution as a putty. The use of teflon tape should be avoided with any petrolium product such as mineral oil, grease, and most especially gasoline. Any strands of stray teflon tape can cause oil pressure relief valve problems. If you walk up to an aircraft with teflon tape or a soldering iron in your tool kit, you would probably end up sweeping out the hanger.
That's true But when it comes to stuff that stays on the ground I use the thicker yellow gas line tape. It doesn't come apart like the thin white stuff does. You still don't want to use more than you need though. I never over tighten anything and only torque critical fasteners where distortion, or lack there of could cause problems. I always wrap the sump plug in my TC after a oil change with the gas tape and don't screw it back in very tight and it never leaks.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:02 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Other suitable sealants are aviation gasket goo, 515 loctite, and the usual silicone. None will work unless you clean the threads with a Q tip and lacquer thinner or similar solvent. Pipe thread by design may or may not seal without sealant. Most times not. Clean old residue at each change and you won't have a problem. If it still leaks, you may have already cracked the hole in the thread area, usually not visible as it opens up when the plug is screwed in. A dye penetrant inspection will find it. Never ever use 565 , or any silicone in the fuel system. Gas will desolve it and it ends up in the worst possible places.
Ron

Quick Reply: Loctite Pipe Sealant Teflon 565