Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
scotsport
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

So - If we are replacing the IPB on an O6 or 07, should we used the origninal 06 part#s or will the 08 inner race and roller retrofit. A and just what changes were made to the 08 trannyshafts?

These questions seem key to getting to the bottom on the problem.

I have an 07 Bob (Dec 06 build). Keen to know if I'm sitting on a poor quality part, and if doesdoes fail what part#s to replace it with.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Oilslick
Tourer

ORIGINAL: scotsport

So - If we are replacing the IPB on an O6 or 07, should we used the origninal 06 part#s or will the 08 inner race and roller retrofit. A and just what changes were made to the 08 trannyshafts?

I have an 07 Bob (Dec 06 build). Keen to know if I'm sitting on a poor quality part, and if doesdoes fail what part#s to replace it with.

Thanks in advance.
I've ordered the06/07 part purely beacause I know it will work (for a while anyway). You are right though,if we knew why the change was made and if the new racewould fit orwhether the mainshaft would need to be changed as well. Obviously, the MoCo will know all of this information. I wish they would explain it to usand put us out of our misery.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
scotsport
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

Thanks in advance.
I've ordered the06/07 part purely beacause I know it will work (for a while anyway). You are right though,if we knew why the change was made and if the new racewould fit orwhether the mainshaft would need to be changed as well. Obviously, the MoCo will know all of this information. I wish they would explain it to usand put us out of our misery.

Yup, we live in hope, guesswork and intuition!

I hear that JIMS do a quality inner race for the 06/7s.Has anyone anyone got part #s.

Also, and a wee bit off topic, butOilslick: Duce wheel on a Bob: does it just drop right in there?

Lastly, would anyone with 'the knoweldge' please put us out of our misery and tell us what is really going on with this whole 06 - 08 IPB thang? We are, after all, only honest customers....

Stand up and be counted chaps.....

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Oilslick
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Oilslick

Thanks in advance.

Yup, we live in hope, guesswork and intuition!

I hear that JIMS do a quality inner race for the 06/7s.Has anyone anyone got part #s.

Also, and a wee bit off topic, butOilslick: Duce wheel on a Bob: does it just drop right in there?

Lastly, would anyone with 'the knoweldge' please put us out of our misery and tell us what is really going on with this whole 06 - 08 IPB thang? We are, after all, only honest customers....

Stand up and be counted chaps.....
I mailed Jim's about the bearing and they replied that they didn't do primary parts. I'm in a hurry so I didn't persue it.

The deuce wheel has the same offset and is 4.5" x 17", same as 06 wheel. If you get the later one with 1" bearings, it will drop straight in. Mine was an older 3/4" type wheelso needed boring and a new sleeve plus 1" bearings.

One thing Squeeech mention was dowels. I noticed that on the inside of the inner primary that thereare indeed drillings to take two dowels at the crankcase end and two at the gearbox end but nowhere for them to go into the crankcase or gearbox castings. Wierd.

BTW, I was looking at the oilway drilling to the bearing decided to radius this in the hope it might deliver more oil. Funny what you do while waiting for parts.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day Mates,

Firstly, those dowels are wierd, here's what i found..... In the '07 service manual it shows 2 dowels, I have not yet seen the '06 service manual, (but it is due today),I expect it will be the same.... however, when i tore itdown there was only one dowel in place, I always try to do my own work, but went to the only trustworthyHD repairer in my city..( I think you guys call these shops "indys" ??? ) , to buy the JIMS inner race, anyway, heoffered to drill into the casting and then custom make some dowels to suit, I honestly believe that this is how it should be, but whether or not it was a mistake at the factory I really don't know, if not it is a design / production line fault and MAY have been rectified in the '08 models (or maybe even the later '07 bikes), I'm not sure which... he said there was a real risk of damage and so I decided not to do it.

This would make it possible for the shaft alignment to be out and would explain the photo someone had of the extreme wear on only one side / face of the inner race. Having said that, my race was "dug out" evenly all around and so I still believe the race is at fault, and remember HD have changed the part now !!

But dowels are only for linning things up and IF you are super careful you can see that all is straight when you
re-assemble, it is impossible to guess if "trained mechanics" at HD shops took the time to re- align things which would explain the problem re-occurring for some owners, or they used the "OLD" version inner race. (34091-06).

The Jims bearing did not have a number on it , it just had the word "JIMS" on the side, I will contact the shop and ask, he should have it.... meanwhile, i recall the indy(?) saying that it was old stock and that he had been using them for years ( on older 5 speeds), this proves that the shaft diameter must be the same as older models and I BELIEVE that would still be the same on '08 models. I used the 9231 bearing and the JIMS race, andafter market gasket set. I am sure they would still make them, here in Australia we have real problems getting this good USA stuff, so shops buy in bulk that lasts for years, at least that is what he did, but it must still be around.

I hope this all helps, I would love to tear down an '08 just to see if there are any dowels......... but that ain't happening any time soon... and if the problem is fixed it may never happen in my lifetime cause the race should last for a hundred thousand milesjust like they always have.

Graham
PS: hey MUD this could be a design / production line fault after all , just like you thought???????

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

ORIGINAL: squeeech
I would love to tear down an '08 just to see if there are any dowels.
I did and there are, on an ultra anyway.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Dawg,

THANKYOU, for letting us know, if "oilslick" had none and I know I had only one, and it looks like there should have been two......... then.... .mystery solved, or maybe an unlucky combination of this PLUS the faulty race would explain the problem being "random" on many bikes.
I counted dozens and dozens of posts on this and I hope all concerned look at this part of the forum, it's all been good information, and I think the mystery is solved ...

Graham (06 dyna with quiet primary )

Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI, my rear roadwinder wheel is for a 2005 Deuce. Bolted right on. It actually had 3 different part numbers on it........[8D]Thanks HD!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Dawg,

THANKYOU, for letting us know, if "oilslick" had none and I know I had only one, and it looks like there should have been two......... then.... .mystery solved, or maybe an unlucky combination of this PLUS the faulty race would explain the problem being "random" on many bikes.
I counted dozens and dozens of posts on this and I hope all concerned look at this part of the forum, it's all been good information, and I think the mystery is solved ...

Are you saying there are holes for alignment dowels with no dowels in them? Or just no holes for alignment dowels?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

Hey Dawg,

Are you saying there are holes for alignment dowels with no dowels in them? Or just no holes for alignment dowels?
On my Ultra, I had two holes and two dowels. I believe also that the parts book calls for a certain number of dowels like 4 or something and that would correspond with the two starter dowels in the back and the two dowels up front for the primary cover.

Quick Reply: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s