Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Had to happen sooner or later but the ever popular inner primary bearing noise started while in Denmark at the Super Rally. Stil, got home OK.

What I need is a parts list to fix this problem.

I think I need:

Inner race that goes on mainshaft.

Roller bearing that goes in inner primary case

Bearing seal that goes in inner primary case

Sealing fasteners to bolt the inner primary case to the crankcase (do they reallyneed to be new?)

Crankcase gasket

Primary cover gasket

Steel bar to lock primary to undo comp nut and clutch hub nut.

Is this correct? Have I missed anything? If so has anyone got the part #'s

Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s

Get the part number from your dealer. It is an INA bearing. Just make sure when you install the new bearing you pay close attention to the small oil passage hole in the case that feeds that bearing. There is a snap ring that holds the bearing in place and it needs to be oriented so the open part of the snap ring is over the oil passage hole and not blocking the hole. This is very important as if you cover the hole you will starve the bearing of lubricant and you will be back in there very shortly. You may want to fish a small wire through that passage to make certain it is not blocked while you are there. (this should be outlined in the SM)

If you can, take a digital photo of the old bearing mounted in the case before you remove it. If the snap ring is covering the oil passage then you have a warranty issue with the MoCo to pay for your parts at least as it would indicate the trans was assembled incorrectly at the factory. BTW, have you contacted the MoCo to see if they will do the repair on their nickel? Some guys have had it done free out of warranty.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

I remember talk that the snap ring positioning was the reason for the failures, so I'll be interested if that's the case for me. I hope so because this is going to be a PITA if you have to tear down the primary every few thousand miles.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would still contact the MoCo and see if they will replace it under their goodwill policy. After all they did release a letter stating it would be covered for free replacement every 15,000 miles.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

Good point, I will try because, as you say, this appears to be a design or quality control fault.

I will defect to the Rocket III otherwise

Old 05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day guys,

the roller bearing is 9231 and MUCH MORE importantly the inner race is now the improved 34091-08.
You can read my post about this change that many of you missed. I used a "jims" bearing and sidestepped the problem. You should see the gouging of the race and yet the rollers were still (relatively) OK. Obviously the heat treating (or lack of any) is the real problem. The supplier is at fault but HD must have found out at some point to have offered to replace things and mention it in their owners manual. what they should have done was a full recall and used a better bearing. I don't know exactly when the new one arrived ( late "07 or early '08) I guess. Sorry I don't have the other numbers on me, but you are on the right track, I reused the gasket that butts up to theengine case, and always use aftermarketbrand quality seals which are usually better that originals.The gap in the split ring must face upwards. It is not a design fault , it is the quality of the race, the original part # was 34091-06 which of course first appeared on the 06 models.

Graham

Hope that helps

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

Graham,

Top man!! I missed your other post but have read it now.

That information helps tremendously. Very important about the inner race. Every 06 / 07 Dyna owner should know this.

So after all the speculation about the cause of failures, it looks like there was a problemwith the inner racefor the MoCo update the part. I'm hoping that this might be an end to 10,000 mile bearing changes.

One thing though, I noticed that one of the changes on the 08 models was a change to the gearbox output shaft (I think) as well as the primary bearingso will this new inner race still fit? (Thinking out loud) I suppose it will otherwise the main part number would change, not just the year.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

Just been checking part #'s with dealer.

They say:

06 – inner race 34091-06. Roller bearing 9135-06
08 - inner race 34091-08. Roller bearing 9231-08

Graham or anyone, will the 08 parts fit the 06 or is the input shaft different on the 08?

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Oilslick
Tourer

With help from Mudpuddle, parts are:

12052A OIL SEAL, INNER PRIMARY
34091-06 RACE BEARING, INNER (INA F556923)
9231 BEARING, ROLLER (INA F553224)
786A BOLT, SEAL x 5
60547-06 GASKET, PRIMARY COVER
34934-06 GASKET, CRANKCASE
27444-00Y O-RING
34982-02 BUSHING, CRANKCASE x 2
60678-85 RETAINING RING x 2
63869-06 GASKET, TOWER

Strangely, the INA website doesn't list them or at least I can't find them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9010/F0663B4753BD4443B9C6CA08FBE42772.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9010/B4B973B53CD94584B12F635A07785649.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9010/1B0037BD69C648F99BEA7A88CB40C023.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day mate,

Those pictures show the problem, and Mud is always helpful, I cought mine early and so the rollers were OK and the race was badly gouged. I used 9231 ( as listed by my dealer and Mud !), on that same note, the "Jims" book says their IPB removal tool fits the 9135 bearing AND is suitable for '06 models?? I wrote to them to clarify, but they never responded - so I didn't buy their puller.

I can't say about the '08 input shaft, i guess you will end up having no choice but to try to get an answer from a dealer, after you check for any changes in the part number.You wouldn't think they would change the shaft, but let me know what you find. Just buy 9231 and the Jims inner race and a quality after market gasket kit, plus the c/case to inner primary gasket from HD. Also 9231 never had a "year" after it and the Jims race will fit both the 5 speed and the 6 speed, so the shaft size must have always stayed the same, and so it probably has for '08. Personnally I would not risk the HD '08 race - call me paranoid if ya want.

It is strange that there was over 12 months of "speculation" about this and no-one seemed to notice the race, even the dealers were just replacing it with another bad part - unbelievably incompetent. I guess HD knew, but didn't want the cost of a recall, so they just sent those letters and added a line in the owner manual. Willie G needs a good talking to about cost cutting V's customer satisfaction.

cya and let me know how you go.
Graham.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 Dyna inner primary bearing part #'s