Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Installing a 6 speed in old Softail

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a 6 speed in old Softail

Just finished installing an Ultima 6 speed in an 87 Heritage.
&nbsp\\;Here’s a list of what was installed: [ul][*]Ultima 6 speed with new 32T pulley[*]65T sprocket (Existing)[*]1995 Inner and outer primary&nbsp\\; (used)[*]BDL Competitor clutch and primary chain (new)[*]25T Comp Sprocket (new)[*]Hayden M6 (New)[*]Ultima 1.75Kwatt starter (New)[*]130T belt (new)[*]Oil Tank (new... bah!)
[/ul] &nbsp\\; Figure with various gaskets and fluids I have about $1300 into the swap.

Everything bolted right up. Got a lot of good gouge from this board, especially the part about aligning the tranny and engine (loosen all the bolts)

There were several minor issues that were a bear to find and fix.
[blockquote]I heated the mainshaft race to get it on and it slipped down to the bearing seal. Ended up using a dremel and chisel to get it off. Went with a baker high torque bearing. Should have done that first.
[/blockquote] [blockquote]&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;The oil tank drain line lacked about ¼” of clearance on the starter through bolt. Probably would have worked if I had used a stock size starter as the 1.75 is ¾” longer than stock. Had to get a new tank which required required re-routing of main feed and drain lines.
&nbsp\\;
The clutch ring gear hit the primary case. Relieved it with a dremel tool.
&nbsp\\;
The front left floorboard mount needed to be heavily clearanced to get around the primary. The bolt pattern is different on the outer primary between 87 and 95. On the bright side, I no longer need to pull the kickstand and floorboard mount to pull the primary cover.
&nbsp\\;
Need to look at a newer model to see how the oil lines and foot board are configured.
&nbsp\\;
The shift linkage hit the webbing on the primary. This was the last problem. I ended up pulling the oil tank and starter and notched the webbing so the bolt that attaches the linkage to the arm on the tranny would clear.[/blockquote] &nbsp\\; I disassembled and reassembled things several times trying to figure out all the stuff above. &nbsp\\; Only had time for a 10 mile optest tonight, but initial impression is that it is smoother and less vibration. There is a whine from the M6 which I understand is normal. My bike hasn't seen 80MPH in years so it was pretty cool to bop along at high speed.
&nbsp\\; Looking forward to getting some miles on it.
Life is good.

Deet &nbsp\\;

Old 08-10-2008, 01:50 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update:

Took the bike out yesterday for a 400 mile optest (gotta love nce summer days)

50/50 mix of backroads and interstate.

As expected nothing noticeably different gears 1 to 5. I am running 25/36 primary and 32/65 secondary. Thought the 3.24 first gear would be sluggish from a start, but it's okay. I won't be popping any wheelies, but never did before either.

The interstate is another story: the extra gear is great. As others have said, it's not really useful below 70MPH, but above that it rocks. Very smooth at 80MPH with a slight whine, sounds cool.

Mileage also seems to have improved. Used to get low 30's at 70-75MPH (the engine is not stock) Yesterday I got 37-38 at 75-80MPH.

I'm a happy camper!

Deet