Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trouble getting into one gear (sometimes)

Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 AM
mankx
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting into one gear (sometimes)

(Full repost from an attempt 2 months ago. Servers wouldn't take whole text till I gave up.)

=> 99 Dyna Wide glide w/ 88 twin-cam, 45,000 mi.

8 months ago started having VERY occasional problems shifting into 3rd.
--Usually it would shift just fine, seldom now.
--Most times it feels like it shifted in just fine, but when I let out the clutch it feels like the clutch slips and catches, slips and catches -- sometimes only a couple of times and then it's fine.
--Rarely I let out the clutch and it feels like neutral except for a VERY slight gear grind noise like the gear teeth are just barely touching as they spin past each other.
--Downshifting & trying again often works just fine.
--Winding it out in second like a rice-burner before I shift always goes into third just fine.

This is ONLY going into third gear, so it seems unlikely to be the clutch. Ever heard of Clutch problems affecting only one gear?

I'm posting to get an idea of possibilities before I bring it in to play "mechanic's best guess" that's wasted me time and money in the past. When I made an appointment at the dealership, the mechanic said he couldn't even guess at what might cause this.

The only similar post I could find was a guy with a second gear problem. Replies to him were:
1. "shifter pawl" -- Simple as just an adjustment or tear-down & replace required?
2. "trans over full" -- only affecting third gear?
3. "shifter detent plate (sportster issue)" -- Dyna have one of those?

Any help would be appreciated, THANKS!

M

Last edited by mankx; 08-11-2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

First thing I would do is adjust your clutch & cable and change the primary oil. Make sure your adjustment is by the book so you get complete seperation of the clutch plates when you pull the lever.Next would be checking (lubricate & adjust) the entire shifting linkage & pawl. What trans oil are you running? Third, you could have a bent or worn shifter fork. I wouldn't get into the trans right away but if you are not running a 75w90 gear oil in the trans you may want to try it. Any GL5 rated gear oil will work (get some dino for $4 and see if that makes a difference).

If it is a shifter fork or shift drum spring issue that will require the trans coming apart so I would hit all other avenues first before tearing into it. There is a good clutch adjustment thread in the DIY section. BTW, this is all stuff you can do yourself. You can do the primary service, clutch adjustment, shift linkage lube & adjustment and trans oil change for about $30.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 08-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.