Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea. Flatten the 3 dimples with plyers on the old rotor and take the original spring washers out so they show up in the picture. It will soom become obvious why it's called Heavy Duty.
Ron

Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, that should help some people realize just how underdesigned the original compensator really is. I hope this new SE compensator makes the kind of improvements in the driveline that I'm expecting.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe why the IDS didnt work on some owners bikes was because their stock comp was alittle weaker than those that the IDs did cure? Maybe its in the tune also.Hd tried upping the spring tension on a few bikes or at least one I know of and it added to the clatter noise.Hopefully this redesigned unit will fix those bikes and maybe allow that ugly IDS to be put in the "for sale" section. The IDS cured mine but I also will install the new comp along w/IDS and hope the noise doesnt come back. My reasoning for the new comp is to relieve the shock that can be transmitted to crank. Possible slip preventer,or end shaft deflection ?? My bike never had the startup knock,nor lost any starter teeth or damaged the tensioner. This new comp seems to be taking dealers @ a week to get in. Consider it a 200 $ extended warranty.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by pittguy
Maybe why the IDS didnt work on some owners bikes was because their stock comp was alittle weaker than those that the IDs did cure? Maybe its in the tune also.Hd tried upping the spring tension on a few bikes or at least one I know of and it added to the clatter noise.Hopefully this redesigned unit will fix those bikes and maybe allow that ugly IDS to be put in the "for sale" section. The IDS cured mine but I also will install the new comp along w/IDS and hope the noise doesnt come back. My reasoning for the new comp is to relieve the shock that can be transmitted to crank. Possible slip preventer,or end shaft deflection ?? My bike never had the startup knock,nor lost any starter teeth or damaged the tensioner. This new comp seems to be taking dealers @ a week to get in. Consider it a 200 $ extended warranty.
Upping the pressure on the stock comp is impossible to do and have it work as it is designed. I added a .032 shim against the rotor which won't increase pressure but gave it some of the lacking initial pressure at the start. 30% compression is the recommended preload and after that the pressure is constant pretty much until they are flattened. Sadly , even with the shim it wasn't close. Probably lost about 15 degrees of working zone in the comp by doing so because the pack bottoms out sooner and becomes a no comp unit on medium accel loading. It did however remove my 5th gear clatter on my softail. Thicker springs, unless you get them custom built don't even exist to purchase but that would reduce the the function even more and would no doubt cause more clatter. Even cutting the can off the rotor and going external won't help due to the cam design limiting working zone due to it's length. Overall the increased pressure idea would have worked but the lack of rotational area obviously was not considered and produced the opposite result of what was intended. Not one single part on the new unit is the same, with maybe the exception of the bolt.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 10-21-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Default Pictures of SE Big Twin Comp vs Stock Comp

The difference in design between these two compensators is like day and night. If ever a picture was worth a thousand words, this is a perfect example. See attached pictures and order your new SE Big Twin Compensator soon. I haven't finished my build or riden the bike yet, but if this new compensator doesn't make a big difference I'll eat the old one. I can't seem to get these pictures to upload, can anyone help me out.

Last edited by GAstreetglide; 10-23-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed that new comp is massive compared to stocker.Weight alone is quite a difference,mine came in today after @ 3 days from ordering.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 PM
rbabos
Banned

Courtesy of GAstreetglide . If this works more pics to follow.
In some of the pics there appears to be what looks like a keyway in the disc. I have no keyway in mine, so I would assume it's some form of camera glitch. The dark coloured discs at the left are stock comp springs. Pic #1663 shows the actual new spring pack with one small one at the bottom. What appears to be a large nut on the end of the comp is part of the end cap, which can be used to tighten or loosen comp or basket. Bolt in center is still primary attachment as is the stock unit.
Ron

Attached Thumbnails Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1677.jpg  

Last edited by rbabos; 10-24-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM
rbabos
Banned

Cool. Here are the rest.
Ron

Attached Thumbnails Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1660.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1663.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1667.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1668.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1669.jpg  

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
rbabos
Banned

More, as I hit the limit of 5 last time.
Ron

Attached Thumbnails Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1672.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1673.jpg   Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator-imgp1677.jpg  
Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced

Ron, thanks for taking the time to re-size these pictures and put them in the thread. I hope this helps everyone get some idea of how totally different these two compensators really are. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator