Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You obviously, as well as many of us can recognize poorly engineered/designed products like the stock compensator and the crush/can full of rocks drive transmission but HD has yet to have a recall on any of this junk. If we want to solve these problems we must pay for a Baker F6F and/or IDS and the SE compensator and HD calls them all upgrades or improvements but not defects in design. I really do enjoy my SG but some of the sloppy engineering/design irritates the hell out of me. HD could at least admit they have a problem and give their loyal customes some quality service for all the money we spend.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. They are experts at bending people over and feeding it to them dry So, when you getting your new comp?
Ron

Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Will do when I get it on but I'm sure others will get it on sooner than I will and report. You do realize what exactly that starter knock is caused from? Maybe I shouldn't scare the crap out of you but it's good to know anyway. Goes like this. Starter rotates engine and spins the comp to the point of spring bind on the discs from cam/ramp action or close to it. Engine starts, reverses the load and agressively does the same thing the other way. The sound you hear is not the cam/ramp running out of room but the cam bottoms the spring pack out. The gear is hammered outward, away from the engine as it contains the ramp . The cam goes in compressing and bottoming the springs as it has the ramp. The effect of all this is it trys to pull the shaft out of the flywheel. Like a slow speed hammer drill. Same thing goes on in high load conditons near lugging rpms. These forces are no small potatoes and I have to wonder how many cranks have been damaged from this alone? This may very well be the reason for the redesign of the whole unit.
Ron

Mine doesn't do it all the time just once in a while. My drivetrain seems to be pretty tight as well. Very little lash compared to all my friends who have TC88's. So, I'll probably leave well enough alone until I dig into my primary for some reason like the stator crapping out. I did have the dealer look at it and they pulled the case and re-torqued the comp.They said all was fine and I believe them because they seem to love warranty work and don't bat an eyelash at ripping a part off and sending it back for a warranty claim. But if I am in there for any reason I'll get a new welded stator & SE comp for sure.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
rbabos
Banned

KBFXDLI: I thought you had an 06. Totally different comp setup than 07s if I'm not mistaken. Different ramp angles, nut instead of a bolt, smaller sprocket, spring pack in different place etc. Shorter stroke 88 will beat on it less as well.
Ron

Old 10-14-2008, 07:52 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced

Sorry I didn't respond yesterday but the weather was perferct so I road a couple hundred miles. When I got home UPS had delivered the remainder of my parts including the new SE compensator. The design and the overall heft of this compensator looks like it’s going to be a major improvement over the less than adequate stock part. This thing is a real beast. It looks like something you'd see on a tractor or a Mack truck and not a Moped or Vespa.

rbabos, since you took the time and trouble to understand and modify the original compensator, I’m curious about your opinion regarding this new design. I probably won’t complete all the work on my bike until late next week. I’ll provide more information about the engine build and how well or how bad this new compensator performs.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:14 PM
rbabos
Banned

Have not had a real chance to look it over. Went to the dealer last friday with the Custom with intent to order it and to my surprise they had one in stock. Bought it but since there was no way to safely tape it on the bike decided to come back this weekend and pick it up with the cage. I will study it in detail when I get it home. My initial impression looking at it was thumbs up in all the areas that are lacking with the original. By the way, the original is a hefty piece of iron too. Might make a decent boat anchor.
Ron

Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced

It's been over a year since I last had my primary apart. But if my memory still serves me correctly, it seems like the ramp angles are steeper and each section is physically separated by a barrier. It also appears the spring/diaphragm pack is much beefier. I’ll know for sure in a couple days. Keep me posted when you get yours installed.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Someone explain to me this SE "lefty bearing". I have heard about it, but havent had a chance to read up or even see it. Is this just a heavier duty version of the crappy crank roller bearing? If so, why waste money on that and just go with the Timken crank bearing conversion.........if it isn't where does it install and whats its main function?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced

It looks like a replacement for the existing crank bearing. There's not enough room to install or support a second bearing. This appears to be just one more example of a poor or weak design that we can now correct at our own expense. Nevermind you likely spent $20,000.00 or more for your bike, just consider that HD has now given you the opportunity to make it much better. I'd likely go with the Timken bearing conversion just for spite.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
KBFXDLI: I thought you had an 06. Totally different comp setup than 07s if I'm not mistaken. Different ramp angles, nut instead of a bolt, smaller sprocket, spring pack in different place etc. Shorter stroke 88 will beat on it less as well.
Ron
Yeah....the 06's are truly the best TC88 made... j/k But seriously, mine runs like a top.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Big Twin Compensator