Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

How to replace a drive belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to replace a drive belt

Mine broke on my 06 sportster. How do I put one on, and how do I adjust it once it's on?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eazyrider
Mine broke on my 06 sportster. How do I put one on, and how do I adjust it once it's on?

Your question is a bit more than can easily be answered on this forum. It is not hard, but there is a bit to do. I would suggest getting a good service manual and using it as your guide. The manual will be the best money you can spend for your bike.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 PM
eazyrider
Road Master

Oh I got the manual, I bought that before i bought the helmet. Does the rear tire have to come off? Can it be done without a lift or jack? How do I know when it is adjusted correcly? The Manual doesn't answer these questions.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

More than the tire has to come off, the whole stinkin swing arm is coming off. If you have a manual, it's all in there.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:53 PM
riteowaysmcvp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very odd the belt broke on an 06' isn't it? I agree get a service manual. Are you reading the owners manual?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 AM
eazyrider
Road Master

Hmmm. cdestuck I hope you were kidding. I replaced it in 2 hours. Was very easy to do. The wheel doesn't have to come off, and the swingarm doesn't come close to coming off. I propped the bike up on some old books. Once you loosen the bottom bolt on the shock the whole deflector lifts up and you just slide the belt up. Now if you remove the pipes and rider footrest it makes it easier but you don't have to. I must say I was very disappointed in the "advice" I got from this an other forums.
To anybody who reads this in the future. You DO NOT have to take the wheel off. Just loosen the axle nut. And the whole swingarm thing is just ridiculous, I don't about other HD's but you don't even need to touch the swingarm on the Sporty.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best advice was the book.it still strange the belt broke on a 06.there is people getting over 100.000 miles out of a belt.but like anything else it can happen.but i would'nt be to hard on people for just trying to help.the book is your best friend.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 AM
eazyrider
Road Master

It was my fault the belt broke. It didn't just break on it's own. I don't think I am being to hard on people, if you don't know how to do something then don't say anything. Bad advice is worse than no advice. The book helps but there are always tricks and short-cuts. For instance look in the section on how to remove the carb and it will tell you to take off the gas tank.( You don't have to take off the gas tank.) The book will tell you to remove the rear exhaust system when replacing belt, don't have to do that either. The book will tell you to put 4 quarts of oil in your bike, emmm not really. See that is what I was looking for when I asked advice. Now if somebody breaks their belt on a Softy, you won't hear a word from me because I don't know how to do it, and I don't want to give out bad advice.