Main Drive Gear O-Ring? - Harley Davidson Forums

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Drive Gear O-Ring?

P

Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Road Master
Default Main Drive Gear O-Ring?

98 Wide Glide

I'm installing a new main drive gear and I think I'm missing something. Do I need an O-ring or something on the main drive gear, in the location shown? The SM and parts catalog don't show it clearly enough for me to be certain.

Thanks for all the help you've all given me on this project!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Road Captain

I believe the quad seal go there after you install the gear. If that makes sense? On the outside in other words, other side of the bearing.

Last edited by Rider57; 10-27-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider57 View Post
I believe the quad seal go there after you install the gear. If that makes sense? On the outside in other words, other side of the bearing.
Rider57: Thanks, and I believe you're right about the location of the quad seal.

Here's a scan of the picture in the Service Manual. It looks as though there's an O-ring on the mainshaft which would have to be in place before the mainshaft is installed into the transmission. On my mainshaft, where there appears to be an O-ring in the picture, there is a relief cut into the shaft that looks like it was designed to accept an O-ring. I'm fairly certain that the quad seal goes on after the mainshaft has been installed.

My question is, am I supposed to be installing on O-ring on the mainshaft prior to installing it in the trans?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Road Captain

Try getting a look at a Parts Manual for the year model. It will have a blow up of the components. Thats the only sure way to know. I dont know why there would be a O-ring there as there is the seal on the outside as well as the quad seal. Hate to say "go to the dealer" and ask one of the service techs. If they wont help, try to find a local indy.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Road Captain

Wait a minute. I tore down my 97 RK tranny to replace the same shaft years ago!
No. There was no O-ring there. I think that groove is to keep lube from "walking" and loading up the main bearing.

P