Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

94 wide glide shifter fork check

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:18 AM
dogsong_1013
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 wide glide shifter fork check

i think I have a bent shifter fork and from what i can tell it looks like I could remove the exaust and the top cover to the tranny and acess the shifter drum and forks from there wirhout removing the wole S*** and shebang. does anyone know if this is possible and does anyone know af where i could download exploded art r better yet even in structions for doing this? the scoot is a 94fxdwg. Also can a bent shifter fork be straightened or does it HAVE to be replaced? The bike operates fine other than not going in to fourth ( just act like its in neutral).
Thanksfor any insight,
Will

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

With rear wheel off the ground and battery disconnected:

Remove the top transmission cover by removing the bolts that hold it on…

Once the top cover is removed, inspect the springs on the shifter pawl.

Checking the shifter pawl adjustment:

With the transmission in 3rd gear, check the distance from the pins on the shifter drum to the arm on the shifter pawl, the distance should be equal on both sides (the shifter pawl is the arm that rotates the shift drum by grabbing the pins, watch how it works as you shift the gears and you will see).

To adjust the shifter pawl, loosen the locknut nut on the outside of the transmission case (left side, near the shifter shaft), rotate the screw until the pawl is centered over the shift drum pins, tighten locknut.

Now try shifting the tranny into 4th gear, you will probably need to rotate the rear wheel back and forth so the dogs line up on the gears.

If it is still not shifting into 4th gear, remove the shift drum, be careful with the bolts and washers, they could be a pain to get out of the transmission...

4th gear fork is the one on the right side, to remove forks, you must remove the clutch mechanism cover on the right side of tranny, it is the chrome cover that the clutch cable goes into.

Once the cover is off, slide the shift fork shaft out and remove the forks.

There is no repair for a damaged shift fork, they go into the scrap pile.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 05-17-2009 at 03:24 PM.