Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch-54/)
-   -   Removing Clutch Plates (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/primary-transmission-driveline-clutch/351046-removing-clutch-plates.html)

Hawgnuttz 05-26-2009 11:43 AM

Removing Clutch Plates

I want to remove the clutch plates because mine is fried. I do have a manual but it is at home right now. Since all i want out is the Clutch plates can this be done with just removing the adjuster nut and snap ring. Is there a simple way to remove just the clutch plates without removing what the manual wants me to do.....Its a 2005 Ultra classic

KBFXDLI 05-26-2009 04:27 PM

I would follow the manual. Plus don't forget to soak any new plates in primary oil overnight before you install them.

Hawgnuttz 05-26-2009 05:59 PM

Yes sir your are correct. I called today and asked 2 different Indys what was the cost to fix my clutch. 1 said $250 and the other said $350. On the way home I was going to take it too the $250 Indy. I thought about what everyone says, " do it yourself learn your bike". Well I do machine mechanical work everyday and I am a electrician, I think to myself go ahead it cannot be that hard. Gees it was easy and I really enjoyed it. It was a peice of cake!!! Oh and I took pictures along the way (just in case lol ).Now that I have the clutch in my hand, I need to find the parts to replace, Steel plates and (fiber plates), I forget how many of each but I think it was 8 & 9 of each. Anyways any suggestions..... Oh do I need to put locktite back on the primary sprocket nut and if so what type is it I should buy? Also I did have to heat the Primary Sprocket nut to break it loose..... Anybody done this latley and know a ballpark price of the plates... Oh and thank you for the encouragement on doing it myself even though I`m not half way complete I feel Great knowing I have New Knowledge.... Mike

KBFXDLI 05-26-2009 08:41 PM

Use blue loctite. Torque to spec and your manual should show an exploded view of the plates. Not rocket science...just take your time.

ajayrk 05-26-2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawgnuttz (Post 5051029)
Yes sir your are correct. I called today and asked 2 different Indys what was the cost to fix my clutch. 1 said $250 and the other said $350. On the way home I was going to take it too the $250 Indy. I thought about what everyone says, " do it yourself learn your bike". Well I do machine mechanical work everyday and I am a electrician, I think to myself go ahead it cannot be that hard. Gees it was easy and I really enjoyed it. It was a peice of cake!!! Oh and I took pictures along the way (just in case lol ).Now that I have the clutch in my hand, I need to find the parts to replace, Steel plates and (fiber plates), I forget how many of each but I think it was 8 & 9 of each. Anyways any suggestions..... Oh do I need to put locktite back on the primary sprocket nut and if so what type is it I should buy? Also I did have to heat the Primary Sprocket nut to break it loose..... Anybody done this latley and know a ballpark price of the plates... Oh and thank you for the encouragement on doing it myself even though I`m not half way complete I feel Great knowing I have New Knowledge.... Mike

I like this brand. I have a set on order for my R/K. I have used them in Twin cams and EVO powered bikes. Get both the steels and the frictions.

http://www.energyoneclutches.com/

Hawgnuttz 05-27-2009 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI (Post 5050640)
I would follow the manual. Plus don't forget to soak any new plates in primary oil overnight before you install them.

Ok I did not know about soaking the plates. I am wondering Why do you do that? I use mobil one syn oil in my primary. Is that what I need to soak them in and you only talking about the Steel plates.

Bent Wrench 05-27-2009 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hawgnuttz (Post 5053865)
I use mobil one syn oil in my primary

You are on your own, ask your clutch manufacturer what oil you should be using.

KBFXDLI 05-27-2009 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hawgnuttz (Post 5053865)
Ok I did not know about soaking the plates. I am wondering Why do you do that? I use mobil one syn oil in my primary. Is that what I need to soak them in and you only talking about the Steel plates.

No soak the friction plates. The book says to completely submerge for minimum 5 minutes but I would do them at least 2 hours. Most guys I know soak all the plates. Not sure what that would do for the steel ones but WTF why not? If you are using Mobil1 Vtwin MC rated oil in the primary you should be ok. But I would not use Mobil1 car oil in my bike at all. My manual of course says use HD formula +.

Hawgnuttz 05-28-2009 05:39 AM

Yes its the VTwin motorcycle.@ $9.45 a qt I need to find an alternative I beleive... The reason I was asking is if I remember correctly the book (I thought) not too get any on the friction plates ( would`nt this cause slippage)...I`m still learning.. thanks for your info

xxxflhrci 05-28-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hawgnuttz (Post 5058428)
Yes its the VTwin motorcycle.@ $9.45 a qt I need to find an alternative I beleive... The reason I was asking is if I remember correctly the book (I thought) not too get any on the friction plates ( would`nt this cause slippage)...I`m still learning.. thanks for your info

The plates run in oil.