Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2007 Tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Redhill Phil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Dyna rings like a bell in 5th gear. I've read about whines and other noise , but this is like a hammer chiming on an anvil. Any clues please ?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Charles Kaetz
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An estate settlement so obviously the seller has no info on the bike. Just picked up a 2002 Softail with 18K miles for cheap money. Reason being is that it will not shift into second. Can easily shift from neutral to first, back to neutral with no problem. NO resistance at all. Try to shift into second and the shift is hitting a "wall". Shift pedal will not move at ALL. Linkage is not the issue. Have disconnected the linkage and have the same issue manually. Would like to fix this myself .... any help/ideas is appreciated!!

Last edited by Charles Kaetz; 09-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

CK

As This question was answered in said in the softail section, It could be bent pawls in the tranny, or if its set without oil for yrs, Moisture could have formed rust in the tranny and froze up the gears????.

Its hard to give U an answer because with the little Info U give us about the bikes history of maintenance and storage. All were doing is Guessing..

Have U changed the oil yet.? Lubed the linkage.? Checked the linkage adjustment?

U also should look at the shifting lever where its comes out of the motor, U may have something wedged in there that's preventing the lever from moving.

Other than these two U probably will have to have some one tear into the tranny.

Lastly, buying a bike that maybe has set for yrs????, U never know what or how it been treated.
With the $$$ Ur saved getting it, why not let a Shop/wrench look at it.

If it was mine, I'd take it to either a good local Indy or a HD Dealership and let them take a look/see to solve the issue or at least give me an estimate of damage and repair $$.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Now just an answer to the org Post.

My new 07 Heritage had very little whine in 5th at first, so little it never bothered me.

I put Syn3 in all three at the 1K and used it till 16K. Then I had cams installed and the dealer recommended using Bel-Ray 80-145 Hipoid in the tranny, supposed to be better.

The heavier Bel-Ray GL did seem to shift a (Very little TAD bit better).
But, when first starting out with a cold motor, It Shifted way to HARD for the first 8-10 mins of riding till she warned up.
So I dropped it out after a week and started using Mobil 1 75-90 GL. No more hard shifting when cold.

I Stayed with the Mobil GL till this Yr, (Used it from 16k to 45K).

This spring when My Sons 10 ST Glide Had to have the Tranny output bearing replaced.

Our dealer and other dealers are now saying not to use any GL oils in the tranny. That is doing a full circle on what Tranny oil to use compared to what used to be said.

Now it seems that MoCo is claiming and passing the word (According to our dealer) that Using a GL Oil in the tranny can cause tranny output bearing failure. Our dealer said they've had 12-15 bikes just this summer that's had to have them replaced.

Now they are saying to use Formula+ or a good syn 20-50 in the tranny.

I'll add I've had no problems with our bike using Mobil 1 GL in the tranny, but, just for me I put in some Mobil1 V-twin 20-50 in the tranny this spring..

With the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 "IMHO" Their is Very Very little "IF" any difference using it.
It not Noisier, Not Clunkier (in fact I think its shift Crispier and more solid).
Over-All, for me its just as good as using a GL oil.

Plus after reading more about this, I've found that even the Famous AMSoil doesn't recommend Using their GL in the trannys, They just say it can be used.

Since the MoCo designed the Motor and Tranny's for 20-50 oils I will from now on be using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in all three till proven other-wise.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baker offers a replacement tranny with helical cut 5th gear. A cheaper option might be to order one of these kits - especially designed for the 2007 model year.

p/n: 40287-07

Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by Assegai
Baker offers a replacement tranny with helical cut 5th gear. A cheaper option might be to order one of these kits - especially designed for the 2007 model year.

p/n: 40287-07
The 07's 1st and 5th gear straight cut gear is stronger than the Helical cut gears, Plus it doesn't put a side load on the tranny shafts when accelerating hard. Which 1st and 5th are used a lot to do.
Straight cut gears (1st &5th) can and did cause a little whine on the 07's-08's and 09's. I think MoCo went back to Helical gears in 10 bikes to quiet the talk.

Our bike did have a Little whine in 5th when new (never too much), but around 15-20k it got quieter or so it went away, at least I haven't noticed it since. For the last several Yrs I can't hear any whine at all even if I listen and try to hear it.

7 yrs and 45+ k and never had a issue with the tranny.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
The 07's 1st and 5th gear straight cut gear is stronger than the Helical cut gears, Plus it doesn't put a side load on the tranny shafts when accelerating hard. Which 1st and 5th are used a lot to do.
Straight cut gears (1st &5th) can and did cause a little whine on the 07's-08's and 09's. I think MoCo went back to Helical gears in 10 bikes to quiet the talk.

Our bike did have a Little whine in 5th when new (never too much), but around 15-20k it got quieter or so it went away, at least I haven't noticed it since. For the last several Yrs I can't hear any whine at all even if I listen and try to hear it.

7 yrs and 45+ k and never had a issue with the tranny.

A lot of controversy over this (as MoCo described it) aesthetic noise. I heard several and transmissions so afflicted didn't whine, they banged in 5th to an extent that you'd think the tranny was coming apart. From the rollout Harley attempted to fix the non problem several ways: cush drive in 2008, comp and finally a tranny redesign. Keep in mind this was for a non existent problem. ha! Donny Peterson (AI) suspects the problem is related to reflected energy from the rear pulley. Akin to whipping a rope tied to a post, the energy travels down the rope, isn't damped and is reflected back into the tranny where the lash in 5th creates the noise. A SE comp reportedly fixed the problem on the 07's, as did the kit (isolated drive system aka IDS)

Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Agree with the two fixes.. I've read for yrs (since 07) in here about the SE comps and also the rubber mounted rear sprocket fixes.

Thinking the Se comps helped the BANG on start up more so than the whine.
I read an article by Ben Melton in 07 or 08 that told how to fix the bang on start ups.
Using the SERT tuner, one can set Ur advance timing to (0) degrees at (0) Rpms and (0) throttle. I had my tuner do that back in 08 and for me that ended the BANG. It causes the motor to turn slower on the 1 RPM, there-by taking a lot of pressure off the Comp.
All I know is that fixed my banging on start up.
I will add that there was reports of several members having the comps nuts coming loose in 07 anf 08. that caused the (rocks in a bucket sound on Accel) in the bottom end.
I also remember it seemed more of a issue on the (A) motors than the (B) motors,??
and Yes a bunch of the members in here did install the SE com.

I cant remember what yr the Isolated rubber mounted rear pulley came out, I thought it was for the touring bikes only?? and MoCo did it in I think in 09.

I do agree that MoCo did finally fixed the issues (whine and start up clunk) that they claimed not to exist, by doing all three mods below to the bikes.
Went back to Helical gears.
Rubber mounted rear pully (Still not sure the Softies got it)
Then Finally all bikes got the SE comp.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:36 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I kind of like the noise in 5th since I know what gear its in but is more noticable when going slower then 50,I like the 6 speed but I think the ratio spread needs to be changed a little if it has not been done. My 07 is the only one I rode with a 6 speed and have not test ridden any newer models,my only complaint is when going around 40 to 45 4th is not enough a 5th is too much.