Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch adjustment problem - throwout bearing?

Old 08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch adjustment problem - throwout bearing?

I recently installed some Chubby's WO575 handlebars on my '06 Street Glide. I also had to install longer lines, so I went with a +4" Barnett clutch cable. I've had problems ever since (it's been 4 months now). It's like I'm not getting enough travel on the clutch basket (in and out). I adjust it by the book every time - snug on the pushrod locknut at the basket, and then back out 1/2 turn. Seat the ball/ramp mechanism by squeezing clutch lever 3 times. Finally, adjust slack in cable adjuster to get 1/16 freeplay at lever. Still, it seems like the basket is not moving enough. Shifting is either very hard (incomplete disengagement?) or I get slippage (too much disengagement). There is no in between.

After umpteen clutch adjustment attempts, I finally got fed up and pulled the exhaust (no fun) and the clutch release cover. When I operate the clutch lever, the ramp mechanism is only moving enough to move the basket about 1/16" in and out. I'm not an expert mechanic by a long shot, but it seems to me that 1/16" is not enough. Maybe it is, but I doubt it. Also, when I got the clutch release cover apart I found that the tiny circlip that holds the throwout bearing in place had broken. The needles ended up falling off, but I found all 9 of them (thankfully). My question is this: Could the throwout bearing be the whole problem, or do you think that Barnett gave me the wrong cable, which caused the circlip to break? I already called Barnett and they told me that I do have the right cable, but I'm not so sure. For one, the threads on the cable were wrong - I had to retap them. Their threads were 5/16-18, but the HD clutch cover needs 5/16-24. Could having the wrong cable be what caused the circlip for the throwout bearing to break? Also, why is that circlip so tiny? It is so skinny that I can see how it would break very easily.

I obviously will replace the throwout bearing, but I'm wondering if I should try another brand of clutch cable too before I go to all of the trouble of buttoning everything back up. Pulling that exhaust is a PAIN! I know that earlier model Harley's were prone to have throwout bearing problems, but I had never heard of a late model problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice from those who are a lot smarter than me.

Doug

Old 08-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clutch adjustment problem - throwout bearing?

I'm curious about any responses you recieve. I recently went to higher Apes and, upon realizing the original SS cable the dealer gave me was too short, I went with a longer Barnett. Went to install it and stripped my threads in the side cover. I chalked it up to excitement and me going too fast, but, now you've got me thinking it's the threads on the cable. I'm waiting on my replacement cover to come in before I attempt to try to a re-install.

If it's the cable, my dealer owes me for the new side cover, in my opinion.

Whiff

Old 08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could there be a problem with the threads on Barnett cables? I put apes on a sporty based chopper I have about a month or two ago, and when replacing the stock clutch cable with a longer barnett cable. I didn't notice anything abnormal on install, but I had the primary cover off recently and had to unscrew the clutch cable. When screwing it back in, it appeared to be partially stripped. I chalked it up to something I must have done, but I wonder if it's a problem with their cables...

Any feedback?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update on my situation. I just got everything buttoned back up and the clutch is finally perfect. Looks like I had 3 separate problems going on.

First, my primary chain was too loose. Cold it had 1.0" play. I readjusted it to 5/8" cold.

Second, the bad throwout bearing was definitely the source of the abrupt engagement and the strange "ticking" noise I was hearing. The clutch now engages smoothly, and the noise is gone.

Third, adjustment at the basket was wrong. It's spot-on now. My theory is that the loose primary chain was making it impossible for me to adjust the clutch freeplay at the basket properly. I may be wrong, but that's my best guess.

Anyway, bottom line is that the bike shifts smoother, and with a lighter clutch pull than it ever has. I love the looks of the Barnett platinum cable, and I'm glad that I was able to keep it on. Hope this helps someone who may be experiencing problems similar to what I was. I sure do hate pulling that exhaust , but it was worth it.

Doug

Old 08-11-2006, 07:45 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The throw out brg was most likely your adjustment problem.These brgs wont last long w/low oil level and will also wear end of pushrod too.Worth checking for those who have had adjustability problems for awhile.

The following users liked this post:
Jeffro Ingersoll (07-19-2020)