Starter / Solenoid Clicks Won't Turn over - Harley Davidson Forums

Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter / Solenoid Clicks Won't Turn over

P

Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Default Starter / Solenoid Clicks Won't Turn over

I have and early Evo, with the starter solenoid over the primary. When I try to start the bike, either the solenoid or the starter clicks once, firmly, but doesn't turn the bike over. I can compression start the bike (Push start). But is something stuck in the starter I suppose Its like something is jammed.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Road Captain

I'm assuming that you have checked the battery and connections, if not that is a good place to begin. It could be, that the solenoid is bad.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Pull the end cover off. Push the plunger in, see what happens. That makes the main connection from the 12V input connection across to the starter winding terminal. You might get some sparks and hot metal bits shooting around if the contacts are dirty, corroded, or worn. Wear a glove and safety glasses and obviously double check that it's in neutral.

Inspect the copper disk and contacts for pitting.

Oh, and what bdavis said too. Do that first. Do you have a voltmeter?

If it's a Nippon-Denso starter you ought to be able to find all the parts you need to fix it at an auto electric shop or maybe a real good parts store. I think it's just 3 parts. The two contacts and the plunger.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 AM

I have a 96 sportster 1200 and I had noticed previously when starting it would click at the starter but would crank the engine and fire up. Now all I get when trying to start it is continuous clicking from the starter as long as I'm holding the starter switch. Almost sounds like the starter is trying to turn but maybe doesn't have enough voltage to crank the engine I've checked the basics. Wondering if it could be the voltage regulator not giving enough voltage or bad starter. Any help would be appreciated

P