Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

ULTIMA 6 speed trans failure........

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Revtech 6 speed OD in my TC bagger. It's behind a healthy 95". I beat the snot ALL THE TIME and haven't had any issues. It's alittle noisy at low RPM's in 6th, but the REDLINE heavy oil cured that... IMO for the money it's pretty damn good.

The following users liked this post:
Chainsawdomizer (02-03-2020)
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think maybe if we had Redline shock-proof around several years ago...I may still have my JIMS in. It was too far gone for the bubble-gum Redline to fix....I tried. You can bet your butt that this new tranny I have now will always have Redline in it. That seems to be some good stuff, but nothing will fix something that is already broke.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 AM
fdimitri
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed a 6 speed Ultima in my 99 Ultra Classic. Very noisy in 3,4 and 6. I bought it from JP Cycles. Unit looked real good but now it has to come out. Lets see what JP does for me?

Fukin Pissed

Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Road Warrior

Baker says theirs is not noisy, if you want to risk it for 2-3 thousand dollars depending on what kit you get. JIMS says they are ALL noisy and it's just the nature of the beast and you can get one of theirs for around the same price. The Ultima sells for around a third of the cost, so you have to suspect something right off the bat.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 PM
cjdock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the ultima 6 speed on my 95 fatboy for just about 2 seasons now. 6th gear has always been noisy since day one. Other than that, it has been a good trans, but I don't beat on it to hard, usually. This bike has 71 horse the dyno tells me. It's an S&S motor. Maybe I'll try that redline someone suggested. Anyways, long story short, the 2 screws that hole in the plate that sits behind the pulley just came out. Well, one came out and the bike started screeching really bad. I pulled it apart and the 2nd screw was just about out as well. I am wondering what size the big nut is, and if its actually part of the plate with the two screws in it. I looked on the ultima site for contact info but didn't find any.
Thanks

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Road Warrior

I can't help you with your screws, but I can say that Redline "may" help the noise, but it depends on how long it's been ran with what's in it now. Redline quieted mine down just a bit, but it was noisy until it finally gave-up-the-ghost...or I gave it up depending on how you look at it. The better kits/tranny's have a helical-cut 6th. gear I believe. That goes a long way toward shutting the howling monkey up.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You`re kidding, right?

Do a search, the consensus is they are junk.
Sometimes people just have to find out for themselves. Parents can tell children over and over again "Don't touch the oven, it's hot" I had to touch the oven to find out.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 0734
Baker says theirs is not noisy, if you want to risk it for 2-3 thousand dollars depending on what kit you get. JIMS says they are ALL noisy and it's just the nature of the beast and you can get one of theirs for around the same price. The Ultima sells for around a third of the cost, so you have to suspect something right off the bat.

Good Luck!
We have 2 different six speeds, the OD6 has straight cut gear teeth and is noisy in 4th and 6th it is inherent and really unavoidable. The DD6 has helical cut gears and is nice and quite.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjdock
I've been running the ultima 6 speed on my 95 fatboy for just about 2 seasons now. 6th gear has always been noisy since day one. Other than that, it has been a good trans, but I don't beat on it to hard, usually. This bike has 71 horse the dyno tells me. It's an S&S motor. Maybe I'll try that redline someone suggested. Anyways, long story short, the 2 screws that hole in the plate that sits behind the pulley just came out. Well, one came out and the bike started screeching really bad. I pulled it apart and the 2nd screw was just about out as well. I am wondering what size the big nut is, and if its actually part of the plate with the two screws in it. I looked on the ultima site for contact info but didn't find any.
Thanks
The nut is an 1" 7/8 and they are made both ways where the lock plate is separate on some and others it is one piece. And you didn't even have to go to our website, how's that for service with a smile.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

Oh yeah and I love Redline, but don't tell anybody, oil is a touchy subject around these parts.

Quick Reply: ULTIMA 6 speed trans failure........