Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch will not engage! please help.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
MtxRocket455
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch will not engage! please help.

I have a 2007 Road King Police Bike (6 speed and 103ci) I am in the middle of changing out my handlebars. I made it my first order of business to install my new clutch cable, while I wait for some other parts to come in the mail.
I followed the directions in the service manual when putting it together. However, I did not take apart the small pieces in the tranny cover. I just connected the cable to it. I tightened up the allen bolts that hold it on. Torqued them in sequence and to specification.
I tightened up the clutch adjuster in the middle of the cable until it was snug and there was a good amount of resistance on the lever. I put the bike in first gear and pulled the lever and the bike stays in gear. I am able to kick it in to neutral and it rolls freely. But then I put it back in to first or second and hold the clutch lever and it stays in gear. I've taken the cover off 3 times and put it back together....same issue.
When I take the cover off and I'm looking at the side of the transmission there are two large exposed nuts with ball bearings around them. I know very little of transmissions so bear with me. But the one on the left (to the rear of the bike) has a hole down the center of it. In the hole and, protruding out into the mechanics that are attached to the tranny cover is a little shaft with some sort of a sprocket on the tip (the tip pointing outward that is). The shaft is round and one side has a flat surface. This piece spins freely when it is inserted into the transmission, like a bicycle wheel. It doesn't catch on anything.
I figure that when pulling on the clutch lever the mechanics inside the cover push this shaft/sprocket into the transmission further and somehow separating something so the gear is no longer engaged. But it doesn't seem to me that this shaft has any room to be pushed in any further nor does it catch on anything to even have any kind of affect on anything.
There are two things that I have though might be kind of my fault; First, I did not loosen the cable adjuster before removing the cover. Didn't have the service manual yet and didn't know. Second, I didn't take apart the few little pieces of the transmission cover that the book calls for. Again, I didn't have the book yet. It doesn't appear to me that either of these would cause this. But I hope someone can tell me.
I cannot figure out how this is suppose to work. And what I did wrong. The service manual makes no mention of this shaft/sprocket piece what-so-ever. I'm stuck on this. I'm in Michigan on military orders and any friends or family or shops that I know of that i could normally get help from, are in California. So I have no help. Sorry for the bible of a story here but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Michigan weather is getting nice and I'm losing road time as we speak!
thanks in advance.
MATT

Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,476 Likes on 4,602 Posts

Welcome Matt, don`t panic...

Lots of folks here willing to help you. Here is a link for adjusting the clutch.

The adjustment of the pushrod is accomplished by removing the derby cover on the outer primary (left side of bike). You will see a nut with a threaded rod in the center, that is turned with an allen wrench.

First loosen the nut, then follow this procedure and you should be fine, any problems, give us a yell.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/trans...-easy-way.html

Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
MtxRocket455
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to mess with it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
MATT

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
MtxRocket455
1st Gear

Thanks, Dan. But fortunately that was not necessary. For future reference. 07 and up HD (at least Road Kings) have a Clutch Interlock Switch. Thank god I was being lazy and decided to put my new switches in rather then start playing with the clutch. I noticed a switch in the book called a clutch interlock switch. And something in my brain clicked. I had it disconnected along with the battery. So I connected it all back together and I now have a clutch.
thanks again.
MATT