Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Lehman Rear Wheel Bearing-BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lehman Rear Wheel Bearing-BEWARE!

I am not sure about all Lehman kits, or if they have carried this same bearing through to the TG or not. I am also not sure what bearing may be in any Metric Lehman conversion.

Here is a story and some good advice.

I lost a rear wheel bearing on my Lehman kitted Ultra Classic just as I pulled into a small Utah town. I located a small town mechanic (great guy) who let me use his tools to pull my axle and we were able to locate the PN on the bearing. It's a RW207 just like the replacement parts list in the manual says. Here is the catch. This is a "small" Ford sealed axle bearing used in early model vehicles and is not well stocked in parts houses. We called for miles around seeking the bearing to no avail, but luckily found one in a most unlikely place....the local Ace Hardware Store. I was back on the road in less than 3-hours (bearing has to be pressed off and new bearing pressed on). Any decent wrench-jockey can perform the fix, as the trike wheel bearing design is much like that of an automobile.

When I got home, I went to NAPA, AutoZone, and some other local parts-houses and NOBODY had this bearing in stock. I had to order a pair of RW207CCRA bearings. I plan to replace my other side that did not fail and keep one in my tool kit as a spare.

My advice to you is....find out what non-bike bearings you have in your trike rear-end and drive line and pack a spare. Otherwise, you may become a U-Haul candidate or be stuck in the wilderness waiting for the UPS truck to deliver an ordered bearing.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Road Warrior

Follow up to above post:

I pulled my left-side axle this morning and discovered that bearing was also losing grease. It may have had another few hundred miles left in it, but it was headed for failure. These bearings had around 31,000 miles on them and were provided already pressed onto my axles sent with the Lehman kit.

Just another warning....if you have 30,000 miles or so on your trike...would not be a bad idea to check/replace the rear wheel bearings. Lifting the wheel and checking for slack is not adequate. You need to inspect these bearings for any sign of leaking grease from around the seals.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go to a industrial bearing company and get any bearing made. And the brand you want.
Sounds like get two and put them in baggies and chunk in the trunk.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Road Warrior

Exactly what I did Gunny. I got the other side replaced and have a spare one in my tool kit.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM
TexasBuckeye
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I changed out my wheel bearing over the weekend.

I changed out my wheel bearing over the weekend.

Make sure you buy the correct ones!!!

RW207CCRA is the correct part number do not get any other ones.

Attached Thumbnails Lehman Rear Wheel Bearing-BEWARE!-bearing.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Road Warrior

Exactly. It's a common bearing used a lot in early Fords and you can find them about anywhere. They do make one that has a plastic seal and one that has the metal seal. Get the one with the metal seal. In my conversion, Lehman used the metal sealed one for the inners that press-on over the diffy' and the plastic seals on the outer bearings. If you have ran one for any serious distance that is loose, or actually have an outer fail like I did....chances are better than 50/50 you have damaged the inner bearings as well. I would be checking the slack in my wheels often, if I still had a Lehman kit of that era. They have to be pressed off-n-on and that's easier done as a precaution in your hometown as opposed to what happened to me. In upper Utah on a holiday.