Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission issue

Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 PM
mkemsaykyl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue

I just bought a bike, it is a Frankenstein bike, 88" revtech, 02 softail frame, harley 5 spd primary (3 bolt derby cover). It had issues with the clutch before I bought it and I knew it, the price was a compensation for it, now I just have to fix it. When I first got it, the clutch would slip, and then I let a buddy take it out and told him to be easy on it, he came back and there was absolutely no clutch left and i could no longer squeeze the clutch lever, very very hard.

What I did:
I did a clutch adjustment, (nut, hex screw, cable) and I could not pull the clutch lever at all. Another buddy came over and he squeezed the lever hard and i heard something break in the trans. on the right side. I take the cover off and sure enough, the chrome outer cover was broke (where the snap ring hold the ball ramp assembly, end tabs that hold on the cover). So I know i need a new cover. I look in the cover for small pieces and sure enough there were a few tiny needle bearings in the outer trans housing. It was the throwout bearing that broke.

MY PROBLEM:
I go to change the throwout bearing and I cannot pull the oil slinger out of the transmission and upon further investigation the oil slinger is bent/wobbly.

How am i going to get the oil slinger shaft out of the transmission so i can change it? I am guessing the back side of it is mushroomed out. I do not really want to pull the tranny and primary apart. I am assuming i will have too though.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

Remove the threaded clutch adjuster rod from the clutch and push the pushrod out from the clutch side.

If it is a 1989 or earlier clutch configuration, there is a short pushrod that will be just under the adjuster stud which must come out also, before you can push on the pushrod.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-01-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
mkemsaykyl
6th Gear

Dan,
What would be the difference of pulling from the trans. side or pushing from the clutch side? I would have an advantage of tapping (pounding ) from the clutch side. Either way, I don't want to break anything internal in the process. The oil slinger is being held up by something on the inside of the main shaft bore. I am assuming this is a three piece assembly (oil slinger, rod, set screw).

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm
Pg. 76 (Big Twin 1984-10')

I am assuming it is a mid 90's transmission. I will try to get pics or video up this afternoon.

I did a lot more research on this and now I know how this assembly works, I am just not sure of how to get the slinger off or if I will damage anything if I have to use a little "force" to remove it.
***Side note***
The washers on the oil slinger will not come off the slinger shaft, its like they are welded on the rod.

Thank you very much for any suggestions,
Kyle

Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 AM
mkemsaykyl
6th Gear
Default ****update****

WOOT WOOT!!!!

Got her all figured out. The spacer shaft spunwelded itself to the set screw and the oil slinger must have done the same thing at some point because it was also all gummed up on the end of the shaft hence it not coming out easily. Make sure to always check fluids, I am guessing this is why this happened and a badly adjusted clutch.

In my hast of trying to just "Get it done" I did not support the end cover and the fitting on the clutch cable slid off the plastic outer coating. Has anyone ever just glued the fitting back in place to the plastic? I am thinking JB Weld or I have some industrial stuff M3000 I could use.

Now i just need to get a new chrome trans. cover. Anyone out there got one for sale? Or else I will have to resort to ebay.