Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Adjustment By The Book

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a most informative post but after reading it all, I still have a quick question about the clutch on my 2013 Deluxe. I recently installed taller bars and subsequently a longer clutch cable.

My bike shifts normal and I cannot feel any slipping or loss of power. However, when I start the bike when it's at room temperature and in gear, it lurches forward slightly. It doesn't try to move at a stop sign even if I let the brake off and the lurching is reduced even further when I start the bike after it's warmed up.

The clutch grabs when I'm slightly less than half way through the clutch handle travel and there is very minimal clunking through gears. This is the first wet clutch bike I've owned since I was a wee lad so I don't recall is this is simply due to the fluid draining from the clutch basket from sitting for hours. I checked the fluid level today and all is good. I adjusted the clutch following the repair manual and it's still doing it.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

two recommendations.. try a less viscous primary oil, like a 10w30 or automatic transmission fluid, and start your bike in neutral instead.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
jersey jim
Intermediate

Thanks for the clutch adjustment lesson, the clutch on my new 13 FLHTK was engaging right at the end of the travel, and had no free play, adjusted in some free play but it still felt like crap, so I followed the by the book adjustment and it feels much better now.
As the bike was delivered there was almost no play at the clutch adjuster screw, and absolutely no free play at the lever. WTF? I hope no damage was done to the clutch or throwout bearing, the bike only has a few hundred miles on it so far. At least I didn't feel any slippage.

Anyway, I followed the by the book instructions and it feels good now, so thanks again. I haven't had a Harley in almost 15 years, and that was a 4 speed, so the instructions were helpful.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

09 Ultra with 87000 on the clutch. When I adjust the cable slack with the bars pointed straight forward I set it for about 1/8". When I turn the bars to the right the amount of slack increases a little. When I turn the bars to the left it takes all the slack out of the cable.

What's up with that? It may have been doing this all along but I never checked it by turning the bars after the cable was adjusted.

Also I'm having difficulty getting the grab point further from the grip. It's about a half inch from the grip now. As soon as I start releasing the lever the clutch starts engaging.

I lightly seated the adjuster screw in the clutch and backed of the usual 3/4 turn then I readjusted and backed off only 1/2 turn but the engagement is still too close to the grip. I like it close but not that close.

I've adjusted by the book and the easy clutch adjustment method. Same results.

I have no slipping and engagement is good. I've adjusted this clutch many times and never had a problem.

Help!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM
lclc49
5th Gear

EMERGENCY!!
I have a 2004 dyna fxd, I have replaced the clutch lever and shift linkage rod several times and have not had any problems when it came time to shift gears.
I just installed a WMI Jockey Shift, attached the shift linkage and cannot get the gears shifting right. HELP! ANYONE!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 AM
qcarson
Intermediate
Default 2006 Street Glide Clutch Situation

I posted this wrong. Sorry.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM
08 Night Train
Intermediate

I have a 08 Night Train with about 13,000 miles on it just started to here a noise when I let out on the clutch is that ok or not

Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 AM
islandamp
Stage II
Default Turned adjuster wrong way..

I adjusted the clutch on my 2013 Streetglide last weekend due to the cable stretching. I read about turning the clutch adjuster 1/2-1 turn out, but then I worked 7 days a week for 3 weeks, and forgot what I read. When I finally got to adjust the clutch, I loosened the locknut, turned the adjuster in until it touched, then turned in in 3/4 turn instead of out. Adjusted cable and rode 1 mile or so. The clutch didn't slip but it engaged at the very end of the lever travel. Came home, realized something was wrong, re-read the manual, and readjusted it properly. Did I do any damage? I can't feel any slipping, but it doesn't seem to bog when I accelerate now. Seems like it's faster? Also. I put it in 1st and tightening the lock nut turned the clutch. Bike didn't move, just the clutch. Did I damage something? Paranoid now...

Old 02-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Joesim1212
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Islandamp. I sure hope these bikes are a lot more durable than that. I would say from what you said that it is running good it should be ok. If turning the nut in a little too far ruins the clutch then maybe it's made of paper. I'll be doing an adjustment myself in the spring, first time as we'll. keep us posted if any problems arise. Until then I say ride it, don't stress.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 PM
islandamp
Stage II
Default Answered my own question

Got 20 miles today and then the clutch lever started getting more and more free play, followed by extreme clutch slipping at takeoff from lights. Got it home, pulled derby and it's still adjusted and lock nut is tight. WTF??? Only 3900 miles on the bike. Wonder if Harley warranty will cover it?

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment By The Book