Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch Adjustment By The Book

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Bike needs to be cold before anything is done.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
sB43
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Bike needs to be cold before anything is done.
it was cold. I didn't do this after she was warmed up. this was done when I was replacing everything.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM
79fxeforiginal
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default posting

how do i post a question on my 77flh starter shaft shim clearence spec to outer primary cover

Old 06-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by 79fxeforiginal
how do i post a question on my 77flh starter shaft shim clearence spec to outer primary cover
In the group you was to post, look for button saying "New Thread"

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (12-28-2019)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 AM
Michaelbauduin
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all. Hard time finding a thread that addresses my issue exactly. 01 RK. Removed the inner primary to do the shift seal replacement . Putting it all back together and have the compensator and tranny basket back in. Doing the clutch adjustment but the lever will now not move at all, and the tranny doesn't move at all. I must have put something back together wrong. It's as if the push rod is jammed or something . Any words of wisdom before I start over ?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,245 Likes on 3,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelbauduin
Hello all. Hard time finding a thread that addresses my issue exactly. 01 RK. Removed the inner primary to do the shift seal replacement . Putting it all back together and have the compensator and tranny basket back in. Doing the clutch adjustment but the lever will now not move at all, and the tranny doesn't move at all. I must have put something back together wrong. It's as if the push rod is jammed or something . Any words of wisdom before I start over ?
In the group you was to post, look for button saying "New Thread"

Old 04-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Rockdog66
Stage II
Default Juice clutch adjustment

Originally Posted by hogdoctor
With hydraulics, you only have one adjustment... the pushrod length. If it's too long, the piston will bottom out and not let the clutch engage fully, if it's too short, the piston may reach the limit of it's travel and not disengage the clutch fully.
To adjust, loosen the locknut at the clutch hub, slowly turn the adjustment screw in until the piston bottoms and starts to lift the pressure plate, then back off until the pressure plate lands and back off an additional turn to allow for clutch plate wear.
Lock the screw and you're done. If the lever is too squishy or doesn't fully release the clutch, you may have air bubbles in the hydraulic system.
Thank you so very much for this. 2015 UItra Low. I have watched enough YouTube videos on how to replace and adjust a clutch I could do it in my sleep but NONE show it being done on a hydraulic clutch. I just flushed my system both brakes and clutch of the crappy DOT4 fluid. And I noticed my clutch seems to engage later. I’m absolutely positive I got no air in the system as I was extremely thorough. Only thing I can think is that I may have left too much fluid in master cylinder. That being said if I do the adjustment as described here would it be wise to pop the top on the master cylinder and as I’m doing this keep an eye on fluid level. I know as clutch wears fluid level rises. Ergo would the adjustment cause fluid to rise or fall AND when remounting the MC cover should the diaphragm be pushed down to fill the void or will it automatically conform the space after a few cycles of use? Thanks for all the info.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Bitchin
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the manual version (now, i know the procedure from outside) and tried the easy way.
Both way are easy and worked for me, but somehow, I decide to use the procedure from the manual, I'm new into Harleys and better I first use the normal way.

I had to do it, because a very bad shifting 92 Softail, to the first gear I waked up my neightbours, the 2nd and so like a russian t34 tank. Shifting downwards often 2 or 3 attemps with force. Neutral never found with l the tricks.
But...........it seems it wasn't the clutch but a Primairy chain who much to tight and to many oil in de prime.

But have to say, next time the easy way. It's very easy to follow it

Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Aquadan005
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you determine if you have a wet or dry clutch ? 82 shovel ?

Old 08-15-2020, 11:19 AM
marcus59
Stage I
Default 2007 Sportster 1200

I've adjusted several times but it's either a hard neutral where the bike wants to walk forward with clutch in or on the other end of the adjustment, the clutch slips when torque applied. I just can't seem to find a "happy adjustment". What should I try next... cable replacement or does this sound like a clutch rebuild. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment By The Book