Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Oil puddle under rear drive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 03:00 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Oil puddle under rear drive pulley

Just removed the cover off of my Road King this morning to check the battery and charge it a bit. Found a small puddle of oil under the rear pulley. Seems that it ran down the belt from the front pulley. I didn't have any extra time this morning to investigate where it was coming from. Preliminary guessing would be the transmission output shaft seal would be the culprit. Since the bike hasn't been moved in a couple of months and primary oil doesn't seep up hill. I last rode it between Christmas and New Year's day. The belt is a carbon fiber belt, would it be able to soak up any of the oil enough to ruin it? Plan on putting it up on the lift by the weekend.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You can guess until the cows come home, but the only way to find out what is leaking is to disassemble the primary and look.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Good luck. Check the mainshaft seal and the shifter seal. Both require taking the primary off though.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Have had pulleys come loose, main seals go bad. They will get oil on the belt. Continued to use the belts but they were 1 1/2 inches. IIRC shift shaft seal won't get oil on the belt but will leak from the aproximante same location. Anyway, you probably want to go in and replace all seals anyway.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:28 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

my guess would be the input shaft seal on the primary behind the clutch basket, not the output shaft seal on the trans

i say primary side cause the trans side would leak down the trans itself, pulley is too far away.. primary side would leak down INTO the bell of the pulley and soak the belt as you stated

either way.. its can only be one of these 2 seals, coming out of the primary or going into the trans

shifter is too far away

Last edited by ghost183; 02-26-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:05 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. It'll be going on the lift either tonight or tomorrow morning. I picked up both of the trans output shaft seals and some primary + yesterday at Ted's HD. Already had the shift shaft seal.

Ghost183, I get where you are coming from, but how would the fluid level in the primary, being no higher than the bottom of the clutch access cover, seep out the seal where the trans output shaft comes through into the primary. Or am I missing something?

Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eggman1
Thanks for the info. It'll be going on the lift either tonight or tomorrow morning. I picked up both of the trans output shaft seals and some primary + yesterday at Ted's HD. Already had the shift shaft seal.

Ghost183, I get where you are coming from, but how would the fluid level in the primary, being no higher than the bottom of the clutch access cover, seep out the seal where the trans output shaft comes through into the primary. Or am I missing something?
When the clutch basket spins in the oil it gets covered and brings the oil on to the shaft and IPB where it can leak out the shaft input.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
When the clutch basket spins in the oil it gets covered and brings the oil on to the shaft and IPB where it can leak out the shaft input.
Hasn't spun in two months. Wasn't any oil on the floor about a month ago.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:43 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

It might have been pooling on the belt and didn't drip off until it warmed up a bit and the oil thinned out. Just a possibility. More likely the transmission seal.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:52 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

hehe.. failed to mention if it hasnt spun in 2 months.. small detail that makes a big difference if it was a daily rider

with the bike on its jiffy, the oils obviously pool to the left, primary oil pools away form the seal, and trans oil now pools towards the seal and now covers the OUTPUT shaft

so.. thats where your oil is coming from

Quick Reply: Oil puddle under rear drive pulley